Barbados has deferred plans to introduce new immigration policies that would have Barbadians fingerprinted when leaving and entering the island from April 1 this year.
The Barbados Immigration Department said that “accordingly, until further notice, no passengers, whether Barbadian or non-national, will be required to be fingerprinted”.
Acting Chief Immigration Officer, Wayne Marshall, said the decision to defer the start of the biometrics screening programme was taken to allow the department more time to re-examine some of the issues, especially the legal issues, raised in the public arena, both orally and in writing, and to increase public awareness about the initiative.
Earlier this week, Opposition Leader Mia Mottley criticised the move and told legislators that the measure was flawed and would be challenged in the court.
“You cannot take fingerprints from April 1. Against which data base would you be assessing these finger prints?
“There is no data base to assess these fingerprints against. This is in the estimates, over two million dollars (One Barbados dollar =US$0.50 cents) to spend and then secondly what are you going to do when a Barbadian citizens says I am not giving you my finger prints.
“Where are you going to deport them to? You can’t deport your own citizens. So if you can’t deport them, you then criminalise your citizens,” she told Parliament as she made her contribution to the 2016-17 Estimates on Expenditure and Revenue.
She said the measure would make “criminals of all good people who are frighten about the breach of privacy of their fingerprints”.
Earlier this month, attorney and social activist David Comissiong wrote to Prime Minister Freundel Stuart calling on him to outline the reasons for introducing the new immigration policies.
In his letter, Comissiong said that he had also written to the Minister Responsible for Immigration Darcy Boyce and the former Chief Immigration Officer Erine Griffith on the issue but to date has received no response.
In his letter, which was made available to the media, Comissiong said that he had been informed that the Immigration (Biometrics) Regulations 2015 were made by Prime Minister Stuart in his capacity as Minister Responsible for Immigration.
Last month, former attorney general Dale Marshall questioned the wisdom in having Barbadian nationals leaving or returning to the country be subjected to being finger printed.
Marshall said that the new measure was a “mindless adherence to international dictates”.
The Acting Chief Immigration Officer said that all legal procedures previously undertaken in adopting the Immigration (Biometric) Regulations, 2015, will be revisited, and any irregularities found corrected.
He said the review is taking place in collaboration with the Solicitor General’s Chambers and the Office of the Chief Parliamentary Counsel.
Marshall noted that the benefits of fingerprinting were national in scope and included enhancing the level of national security; identifying individuals travelling with fraudulent identification documents; strengthening border control; reducing crime; improving investigation of crime; and preserving the high international ranking of the Barbados passport.