Six Opposition lawmakers in Bahamas suspended after mace thrown out of Parliament

NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – Six opposition lawmakers in the Bahamas, including Opposition Leader Michael Pintard, have been suspended from two parliamentary sittings following last week’s incident in which the mace was thrown out of the chamber.

- Advertisement -

The controversy erupted when Shanendon Cartwright, the deputy leader of the main opposition Free National Movement (FNM), threw the mace out of Parliament during a session. This prompted Speaker Patricia Deveaux to immediately order Cartwright’s removal from the chamber. The mace, a key symbol of parliamentary authority, is traditionally treated with great respect, and its removal has intensified political tensions.

Cartwright had protested the Speaker’s decision not to allow Pintard to address the controversy surrounding allegations in a US indictment that members of the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) were involved in drug trafficking.

The Speaker, in denying the request, had explained that it was against House rules. However, Cartwright stood and shouted, “Let the people speak,” before marching to the Speaker’s table, grabbing the mace, and throwing it out after several attempts to open the window.

National Security Minister Wayne Munroe, who is also the Leader of Government Business, moved a motion to suspend Pintard, Cartwright, Kwasi Thompson, Adrian White, Adrian Gibson, and Iram Lewis.

The suspension came after St Barnabas MP Cartwright threw the mace out of a window last Wednesday in frustration over the Speaker’s failure to clarify whether Pintard would be allowed to address the explosive allegations in a US federal indictment.

Palooza 728x90

Speaker Deveaux described last Wednesday’s uproar, in which opposition MPs were forcibly removed from the House, as an unprecedented and deeply troubling breach of the decorum and respect required in House proceedings.

“We cannot in one breath be lawmakers and, in the very same breath, become lawbreakers. What message are we sending to our children and the public at large?” she asked.

She said the opposition’s actions were disgraceful and a blatant disrespect for the chair’s authority.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

She referred the matter to Munroe for further determination and recommended it be sent to the Committee of Privileges for a thorough investigation and appropriate action.

“The sanctity of this House must be preserved. Let this incident serve as a reminder of our collective responsibility to uphold the dignity, integrity, and authority of this institution,” she said.

Pintard regarded the move to suspend the opposition legislators as an effort to silence them and vowed to continue fighting and speaking up on behalf of the Bahamian people.

“We will go to government ministries. We will be back on Bay Street. We will send letters to the editor. We will be on talk shows again, putting pressure on an administration that does not want openness, transparency, and honesty with the Bahamian people,” Pintard said.

But Munroe said the opposition was responsible for their punishment and accused them of trying to create their own rules and have their way.

“That’s not the way the system works. The system works with the Speaker in charge. You respect the rulings of the Speaker. The public has seen this before. In the last administration, members of my party were named and put out of the House.”

 

More Stories

US Immigration services move toward personal interviews to comply with new laws - Caribbean National Weekly News

USCIS policy memo tightens path to green cards, requiring most applicants abroad

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a new policy memo that could significantly reshape how foreign nationals — including many from...
hemp

Guyana advances plans to develop industrial hemp sector, identifies Regions Six and Ten for cultivation

Guyana's Minister of Agriculture Zulfikar Mustapha says the government is moving ahead with plans to establish an industrial hemp industry, with Regions Six and...

CARICOM secretary-general urges unified regional approach amid global uncertainty

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretary-General Carla Barnett is urging Caribbean foreign ministers to deepen regional coordination and strengthen the bloc’s unified international voice as the...
Bahamas PM

Bahamas government unveils tougher immigration measures in new legislative agenda

The government of The Bahamas has announced a series of stricter immigration enforcement measures, including daily fines for visa overstays, stronger penalties for immigration...
Mavis Gilmour

Jamaican government establishes Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour

The Jamaican government has established the Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour, a new national recognition that will annually celebrate the oldest Jamaican citizen. Minister of...

Jamaican fugitive wanted for murder in Saint Lucia sentenced on US firearms charge

A Jamaican man wanted for murder in Saint Lucia has been sentenced to federal prison in the United States after pleading guilty to possessing...
antigua

Antigua and Barbuda to implement enhanced airport screening amid Ebola concerns

The government of Antigua and Barbuda has announced enhanced health screening and surveillance measures for incoming travelers following growing international concern over Ebola outbreaks...

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...

Latest Articles