Death toll rises in Dominica – search continues for missing

Minister for Health and Environment -Honourable Kenneth Darroux

Twenty five people have now been confirmed dead in Dominica following the passage of Tropical Storm Erika last week.

Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, who on the weekend declared several villages disaster areas, said the death toll is expected to rise as more areas cut off by the storm are inaccessible.

In a radio broadcast late Sunday, Skerrit ordered the evacuation community of Petite Savanne.

Environment Minister Dr. Kenneth Darroux, who is also the parliamentary representative for the area said that the search is continuing for 14 others and presumed dead in the area that bore the brunt of Erikas fury as it passed across the island.

The authorities say they expect the death toll to rise as more areas cut off by the storm become accessible. So far 25 people have been confirmed dead.

Based on the prevailing situation at the time and having assessed the situation on the ground, recognizing that we may very well have some (weather) systems approaching us, on advice a decision was taken to evacuate the residents of Petite Savanne,Skerrit said in  a radio broadcast on Sunday.

According to the Prime Minister, the international community had responded well to the situation and several countries had pledged assistance.

He said utilities have been restored in several communities across the country and a number of roads which were inaccessible following the storm are now open to motor vehicles.

He said the two major telecommunication companies operating here had reported at least 50 per cent of service being restored.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here