President of Haiti Declares State of Emergency, Appeals to UN

President Jovenel Moïse has declared a state of emergency in several areas of the country in an effort to stem the upsurge in crime across Haiti.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

READ: Disgruntled Haiti Police Raid Stations, Free Jailed Comrades

A decree adopted by the Council of Ministers said: “The state of emergency is instituted in gangsterized areas for one month, during which certain rights can be suspended in neighborhoods concerned, in order to allow the PNH (National Police of Haiti) to regain control of the situation.”

The decree defines the state of emergency as “a situation in which a regime applies restricting certain fundamental freedoms and exceptional powers of the executive which are justified by a situation of proven or imminent national disaster, terrorist attack or serious breach of public order challenging the police and endangering national security and requiring the adoption of urgent measures.”

The implementation of the State of Emergency follows a plea made by the President to Secretary-General of the United Nations, António Guterres.

“This Tuesday, March 16, I had an interview with UN Secretary-General António Guterres. I asked the UN for technical and logistical support for the PNH, in order to combat banditry in Haiti and strengthen the poverty reduction program.

Palooza 728x90

“During the said meeting, the UN Secretary-General António Guterres and I discussed the issue of the inter-Haitian national dialogue. I remain convinced that through this dialogue we will manage to resolve the current crisis and together build a more just, united and prosperous Haiti,” said Moïse.

The call for help follows an appeal made earlier in the week to the Secretary-General of the Organization of American States (OAS) Luis Almagro.

The efforts come on the heels of an incident on Friday in the Village de Dieu slum, in the capital, where kidnapping victims are often kept.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Four police officers were killed and eight injured in an attempted raid on the gang stronghold. Their armored vehicles and high-caliber automatic weapons were also seized.

President Moïse denounced the acts as “a declaration of war against society”.

CMC

More Stories

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...
Bahamas Christian Council

Bahamas Christian Council urges PM Davis to reconsider Cabinet appointments

The Bahamas Christian Council is calling on Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis to reconsider the appointments of two Cabinet ministers over concerns about their...
Cuba

US indicts former Cuban leader Raul Castro over 1996 downing of civilian planes

The United States has unsealed a superseding indictment charging former Cuban leader Raul Castro and five alleged co-conspirators in connection with the 1996 shoot-down...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica’s economy shrinks 5.9% in first quarter as Hurricane Melissa fallout persists

Jamaica’s economy contracted by an estimated 5.9 percent during the January to March 2026 quarter as the country continued to grapple with the fallout...

New York woman’s husband charged with her murder in Jamaica

The Jamaica Constabulary Force has charged a St. James man with the murder of his wife, 35-year-old Melissa Kerry Samnath, weeks after she was...
beaches resorts turks

Beaches unveils US$150m luxury village in Turks and Caicos, announces regional expansion

Beaches Resorts has unveiled its US$150 million Treasure Beach Village in Turks and Caicos, marking what executives describe as the beginning of a new...
Island Routes

Caribbean tourism shifts toward luxury, personalized experiences, Island Routes says

Luxury and personalization are increasingly shaping the future of Caribbean tourism, according to David Shields, Vice President, Groups & Private Experiences at Island Routes....

Bahamas opposition demands probe after drug trafficking allegations linked to crash survivor

Opposition leaders in The Bahamas are calling for a formal investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida...

Latest Articles