Caribbean National Weekly

Rafael Villalobos to take over as Miami-Dade schools superintendent Sept. 2

By Jovani Davis··2 min read
Rafael Villalobos to take over as Miami-Dade schools superintendent Sept. 2
Key Points(5)
  • Incoming Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Rafael Villalobos is set to take over the district in less than two weeks, months earlier than originally expected.
  • Villalobos’ contract with the school district sets his start date for Sept.
  • 2, the Miami Herald reported.
  • The School Board approved the contract for Villalobos, who currently serves as the district’s South Region Superintendent, during a special meeting Wednesday.
  • The 54-year-old Villalobos said he plans to build on the district’s standing in the community as he takes over the top leadership role.

Incoming Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Rafael Villalobos is set to take over the district in less than two weeks, months earlier than originally expected.

Villalobos’ contract with the school district sets his start date for Sept. 2, the Miami Herald reported. The School Board approved the contract for Villalobos, who currently serves as the district’s South Region Superintendent, during a special meeting Wednesday.

The 54-year-old Villalobos said he plans to build on the district’s standing in the community as he takes over the top leadership role.

“I want to make sure that Miami-Dade County Public Schools continues to be the beacon of this community,” Villalobos said at the meeting. “The lighthouse that people can look at and know that Miami-Dade County Public Schools continues to build amazing, amazing individuals.”

Villalobos will assume the position sooner than previously anticipated. Current Superintendent Jose Dotres’ contract originally set his tenure to end Feb. 14, 2027.

Under the new transition plan, Dotres will leave the superintendent’s position Sept. 1 and remain with the district through Oct. 11 as “Senior Transitional Advisor to the Superintendent,” according to the Herald.

Villalobos will receive an annual salary of $385,000. That is slightly higher than the $380,000 starting salary Dotres received when he became superintendent in 2022, but less than Dotres’ current compensation.

Dotres has also indicated that his departure from the superintendent’s office will not mark the end of his career in education.

Speaking on the first day of the new school year last week, Dotres said he plans to continue working in education after leaving the district’s top post.

“I’m retiring from this wonderful school district, but I’m not retiring,” Dotres said. “I have plenty of, I believe, energy, plenty of desire and just a passion to continue working in whatever way I can to help enjoy or make sure that I contribute to what public schools will look like in the future.”

Villalobos will inherit leadership of one of the nation’s largest school districts as Miami-Dade County Public Schools begins the new academic year.

Related Stories

Broward commissioners consider bringing fire rescue department under county control

Broward commissioners consider bringing fire rescue department under county control

Oliver Gilbert wins Democratic primary in Florida’s 24th Congressional District

Oliver Gilbert wins Democratic primary in Florida’s 24th Congressional District

Florida governor’s race set as Jamaican-American Byron Donalds, David Jolly win noms

Florida governor’s race set as Jamaican-American Byron Donalds, David Jolly win noms