An accident involving two armored vehicles in Haiti’s capital left two people dead and eight Kenyan police officers injured, officials confirmed.
One fatality and all injured officers were part of a U.N.-backed mission combating gangs in the Caribbean nation. The other death was a civilian, according to Jack Ombaka, the mission’s spokesman. Three of the injured officers were in serious condition and airlifted to the Dominican Republic for specialized treatment.
The incident occurred Sunday evening along the Kenscoff-Pétion-Ville route on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince. Ombaka said the accident happened when one armored vehicle towing a disabled one broke down.
According to the National Police Service (NPS), the fatal accident occurred on August 31 at approximately 5 p.m. Haitian time (2 a.m. Kenyan time) in the Pèlerin 9 area. The officer involved was part of a recovery operation using two MaxxPro armored vehicles.
“The National Police Service (NPS) extends its deepest and most heartfelt condolences … and assures them of our unwavering support during this time of profound sorrow,” the statement read. NPS spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga added, “As a service, we remain committed to establishing lasting peace and security for the people of Haiti.”
Eight MSS officers were injured, with three in serious condition requiring medical evacuation. “The MSS extends its deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in this unfortunate accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with them, as well as with the injured, as they recover,” an MSS spokesperson said.
The crash brings to three the number of Kenyan police officers killed in Haiti since the mission began over a year ago. One officer was previously killed in a gang attack, and another remains missing and is presumed dead.
This comes just 10 days after two elite Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) officers serving in Haiti alongside the Multinational Security Support (MSS) Mission died on August 19, 2025. Haitian National Police said the officers were killed, and two others injured, when a kamikaze drone reportedly carried by civilians exploded.
















