Dominica thanks US for suspending proclamation restricting entry of its nationals

Dominica’s Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit on Friday welcomed a decision by the United States of America to suspend a proclamation that would have restricted Dominicans from entering the U.S. beginning January 1, 2026.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

Speaking on state-owned DBS Radio, Skerrit said the suspension followed discussions with U.S. officials at the American embassy in Barbados and with the United States Department of State in Washington.

“I would like to thank the United States government itself for understanding the situation and agreeing to set aside for the time being the proclamation…and so this is good news. The anxieties that we all would have should be set aside,” Skerrit said, adding that Roseau looks forward to continuing the strong relationship it has historically enjoyed with Washington.

The proclamation, announced earlier this week by U.S. President Donald Trump, would have affected nationals of Dominica, Antigua and Barbuda, and Haiti under revised U.S. immigration restrictions.

Trump said the measures were linked to concerns about Citizenship by Investment (CBI) programmes that allow foreign nationals to obtain citizenship without residency requirements, which he argued complicate screening and vetting processes. Under such programmes, several Caribbean countries, including Dominica and Antigua and Barbuda, grant citizenship in exchange for significant investment in national development.

In the executive order, Trump said Antigua and Barbuda and Dominica have “historically had CBI without residency” and announced the suspension of entry into the U.S. for their nationals as immigrants and as nonimmigrants on B-1, B-2, B-1/B-2, F, M and J visas. The order also directed U.S. consular officers to reduce the validity of other nonimmigrant visas issued to nationals of the two countries “to the extent permitted by law.”

Palooza 728x90

The proclamation further argued that CBI programmes have been susceptible to abuse, allowing individuals to conceal identities or assets to evade travel, financial or banking restrictions.

Skerrit said his administration remains prepared to continue working with the United States on any outstanding concerns.

“We are prepared to continue working with the U.S. on whatever issues they may have, moving forward together as partners,” he said.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

He also confirmed that Dominicans who already hold valid visas “of any kind” will be able to travel to the United States beyond January 1, 2026. Skerrit said additional details on the suspension of the proclamation will be provided in due course.

Earlier, the Antigua and Barbuda government announced that a similar suspension had been granted to its nationals. Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States, Ronald Sanders, said existing visas would remain valid across all categories.

“This applies to all visa categories, including B-1, B-2, J, and M visas,” Sanders said, noting that “for the avoidance of doubt, this includes tourist, business, student, and other valid United States-issued visas.”

He added that there would be no revocation of visas issued to Antiguan and Barbudan nationals prior to December 31, 2025. New visa applications submitted after January 1, 2026, he said, will be subject to revised arrangements still being finalised with several Caribbean countries, including Antigua and Barbuda, particularly around enhanced biometric data collection to align with U.S. systems.

More Stories

New York woman’s husband charged with her murder in Jamaica

The Jamaica Constabulary Force has charged a St. James man with the murder of his wife, 35-year-old Melissa Kerry Samnath, weeks after she was...
beaches resorts turks

Beaches unveils US$150m luxury village in Turks and Caicos, announces regional expansion

Beaches Resorts has unveiled its US$150 million Treasure Beach Village in Turks and Caicos, marking what executives describe as the beginning of a new...
Island Routes

Caribbean tourism shifts toward luxury, personalized experiences, Island Routes says

Luxury and personalization are increasingly shaping the future of Caribbean tourism, according to David Shields, Vice President, Groups & Private Experiences at Island Routes....

Bahamas opposition demands probe after drug trafficking allegations linked to crash survivor

Opposition leaders in The Bahamas are calling for a formal investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida...
Guyana’s President Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana President Ali urges restraint on transport fares as global fuel pressures rise

Guyana's President Mohamed Irfaan Ali has called on public transport operators and other service providers to avoid steep fare increases, warning that consumers should...

Belize reports 8 measles cases, urges public vigilance amid regional health alert

The Belize Ministry of Health and Wellness is urging residents to remain vigilant following a rise in measles cases linked to international travel and...
Miami-Dade announce project to help safeguard homeowners against water damage and flooding

Rotary expands Haiti water initiative aiming to reach 70,000 people by 2030

Rotary International is expanding a major water and sanitation initiative in Haiti aimed at improving living conditions and reducing waterborne diseases in some of...
Regional leaders accepting US decision to deport illegal Caribbean nationals

St. Kitts receives first group of US deportees from Jamaica, Belize

The Government of St Kitts and Nevis has confirmed the arrival of the first group of third-country nationals transferred from the United States under...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Jamaica gets US$200 million in hurricane disaster protection from World Bank

After last year’s record-devastating Hurricane Melissa — which caused an estimated US$8.8 billion in damage across Jamaica — the World Bank has increased the...
CPL

CPL and UWI relaunch sports marketing internship for 2026 season

The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI) Faculty of Sport, has announced the return...

Latest Articles