Trinidad AG says state likely to appeal multi-million-dollar compensation

Trinidad and Tobago’s Attorney General Reginald Armour says an investigation has been launched to determine how the state was unable to file a defense in a case in which it has been ordered to compensate nine men TT$2.1 million (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) each after they were acquitted of the murder of businesswoman Vindra Naipaul-Coolman in 2016.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

Armour, speaking at a news conference, said an important file which would have alerted the Office of the Attorney General to the matter had disappeared even though it had been received by the relevant department.

“That file was never brought to the attention of the Attorney General’s Secretariat. It was received at the Solicitor General Department …on one day and the following day it went missing and the first that the Attorney General’s Secretariat learnt of the existence of this claim was when the judgement was delivered on Monday of this week the 31st of January,” Armour told reporters.

“Let me emphasize, citizens of Trinidad and Tobago that by what I have just said, I am not seeking to pass the buck. I accept that the buck stops here (and) as attorney general I am responsible under the constitution for the management and conduct of civil litigation by and against the state of Trinidad and Tobago.

“What has occurred, just to repeat is grievous and it must never be allowed to happen again, and I give to the public of Trinidad and Tobago full assurance that as soon as I have had the results of the investigation, which I have ordered, I will be accounting further to the citizenry in full and transparent manner,” Armour added.

Naipaul-Coolman, 52, the former chief executive of the supermarket chain, Naipaul’s Xtra Foods, was kidnapped from the driveway of her residence in Lange Park, Chaguanas in west central Trinidad, on the night of December 19, 2016. Her body was never found.  Her kidnappers had demanded a three-million-dollar ransom for her release.

Palooza 728x90

On Monday, High Court Master, Martha Alexander, awarded TT$19,168,917.56 for malicious prosecution and exemplary damages; costs amounting to $200,917.56; and the cost of an expert witness of $68,000, making it perhaps the largest award in Trinidad and Tobago’s judicial history.

Interest will be added to the damages for each man, at a rate of 2.5 percent, from May 29, 2020, to January 30 this year.

The nine men had filed a malicious prosecution claim in May 2020 which the State did not defend, despite having entered an appearance. They were represented by a team of lawyers including former attorney general, Anand Ramlogan, SC.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Armour told reporters that the state would have had a strong defence against the claims of the nine former accused men on the basis that the case had gone through the preliminary inquiry and the men committed to trial.

CMC/

 

More Stories

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...
Bahamas Christian Council

Bahamas Christian Council urges PM Davis to reconsider Cabinet appointments

The Bahamas Christian Council is calling on Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis to reconsider the appointments of two Cabinet ministers over concerns about their...
Cuba

US indicts former Cuban leader Raul Castro over 1996 downing of civilian planes

The United States has unsealed a superseding indictment charging former Cuban leader Raul Castro and five alleged co-conspirators in connection with the 1996 shoot-down...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica’s economy shrinks 5.9% in first quarter as Hurricane Melissa fallout persists

Jamaica’s economy contracted by an estimated 5.9 percent during the January to March 2026 quarter as the country continued to grapple with the fallout...

New York woman’s husband charged with her murder in Jamaica

The Jamaica Constabulary Force has charged a St. James man with the murder of his wife, 35-year-old Melissa Kerry Samnath, weeks after she was...
beaches resorts turks

Beaches unveils US$150m luxury village in Turks and Caicos, announces regional expansion

Beaches Resorts has unveiled its US$150 million Treasure Beach Village in Turks and Caicos, marking what executives describe as the beginning of a new...
Island Routes

Caribbean tourism shifts toward luxury, personalized experiences, Island Routes says

Luxury and personalization are increasingly shaping the future of Caribbean tourism, according to David Shields, Vice President, Groups & Private Experiences at Island Routes....

Bahamas opposition demands probe after drug trafficking allegations linked to crash survivor

Opposition leaders in The Bahamas are calling for a formal investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida...

Latest Articles