St. Lucia Police retract statement regarding prosecution of students

The Royal St. Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) Tuesday withdrew a document that had been sent to all principals of schools in the central division dealing with loitering, disorderly conducting, and unlawful fighting by students and the possible prosecution of students as of February 1.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

The document had been prepared by the Community Relations Branch (CRB) and the matter was discussed on Monday, with the police indicating that the illegal activities by the students “have been occurring with increased frequency of late, and as such a determination was made to address these concerns with the relevant authorities.

The police noted that it is “unlawful” to engage in loitering, disorderly conduct and fighting, adding that “they pose significant risk to not only the students, but the public at large.

“There are remedies available including the utilization of the juvenile court systems, where monitoring and rehabilitative measures may be implemented to redirect delinquent behavior.”

In the original document, the police expressed concern about groups of unruly students converging in the capital after school and creating disturbances.

According to the document, the police central division has decided that schoolchildren found fighting, loitering, armed with illegal weapons, or possessing illicit substances will be arrested and prosecuted as of February 1.

Palooza 728x90

“Incidents of school fights and bad conduct continue to create an atmosphere of disorder and lawlessness which cannot continue,” the document noted.

But in a statement, the police said the CRB prepared document “has since been retracted, as the true intent of the meeting was not correctly expressed and may have caused more panic and outrage than conveying the severity of the problem law enforcement is encountering as a result of students’ non-adherence to law and order.

“All schools are under the authority of the Ministry of Education and the RSLPF will endeavor to approach this matter with the relevant parties assigned to each district,” the police said in the statement, adding “we wish to apologize for any undue concern this may have caused”.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

The statement said acting Deputy Commissioner of Police, Ronald Phillip, has since contacted officials within the Ministry of Education, including the Permanent Secretary, Michelle Charles and Deputy Chief Education Officer, Giannetti George, and “offered apologies on behalf of the organization, for the manner with which the intent was conveyed”

“Both organizations recognized that the concerns were of a serious nature, which posed challenges for both agencies and agreed to collaborate on preventative measures to address them.”

CMC/

 

More Stories

US Immigration services move toward personal interviews to comply with new laws - Caribbean National Weekly News

USCIS policy memo tightens path to green cards, requiring most applicants abroad

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a new policy memo that could significantly reshape how foreign nationals — including many from...
hemp

Guyana advances plans to develop industrial hemp sector, identifies Regions Six and Ten for cultivation

Guyana's Minister of Agriculture Zulfikar Mustapha says the government is moving ahead with plans to establish an industrial hemp industry, with Regions Six and...

CARICOM secretary-general urges unified regional approach amid global uncertainty

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretary-General Carla Barnett is urging Caribbean foreign ministers to deepen regional coordination and strengthen the bloc’s unified international voice as the...
Bahamas PM

Bahamas government unveils tougher immigration measures in new legislative agenda

The government of The Bahamas has announced a series of stricter immigration enforcement measures, including daily fines for visa overstays, stronger penalties for immigration...
Mavis Gilmour

Jamaican government establishes Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour

The Jamaican government has established the Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour, a new national recognition that will annually celebrate the oldest Jamaican citizen. Minister of...

Jamaican fugitive wanted for murder in Saint Lucia sentenced on US firearms charge

A Jamaican man wanted for murder in Saint Lucia has been sentenced to federal prison in the United States after pleading guilty to possessing...
antigua

Antigua and Barbuda to implement enhanced airport screening amid Ebola concerns

The government of Antigua and Barbuda has announced enhanced health screening and surveillance measures for incoming travelers following growing international concern over Ebola outbreaks...

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...

Latest Articles