“Missing file” in multi-million-dollar compensation for murder accused found

In Trinidad, retired appeal court judge, Stanley John, says he has been informed that a file at the center of a multi-million dollar (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) compensation to nine men acquitted of the murder of businesswoman Vindra Naipaul-Coolman in 2016, has been found.

- Advertisement -

Stanley John last week was appointed as the lead investigator into the matter as the state seeks to determine how it was unable to file a defence in a matter in which it has been ordered to compensate the nine men TT$2.1 million (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) each.

Last week, Attorney General Reginald Armour, told a news conference that an important file which would have alerted the Office of the Attorney General to the matter “had disappeared” although it had been received by the relevant department.

In a statement, the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Legal Affairs, quoted Justice John as saying “in my capacity as lead investigator” he had been informed on Monday evening by the acting solicitor general “that the file in question” had been handed over to her on Monday.

“I have immediately instructed that the solicitor general (Ag) secure that file for collection by the investigative team, the re-appearance of this file forms part of this continuing investigation,” the statement added.

When he announced the team to investigate the disappearance of the file, Armour told reporters that while he is not seeking to pass the buck, what occurred is “grievous and it must never be allowed to happen again”.

Palooza 728x90

He has promised that “as soon as I have had the results of the investigation, which I have ordered, I will be accounting further to the citizenry in full and transparent manner.”

But the lawyers, including former attorney general Anand Ramlogan, representing nine men dismissed as a “joke” Armour’s statement regarding the missing file, adding “we can say, without fear of contradiction by anyone that the facts will easily demonstrate that the Ministry of the Attorney General, was kept fully abreast of this case at every step of the litigation”.

The Office of the Attorney General has announced that former Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) judge, Rolston Nelson, SC had been appointed to advise the state on its next move regarding the multi-million dollar judgement.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Last week, Master Martha Alexander awarded  to the nine men TT$19,168,917.56 for malicious prosecution and exemplary damages; costs amounting to $200,917.56; and the cost of an expert witness of $68,000, making it perhaps the largest award in Trinidad and Tobago’s judicial history.

Interest will be added to the damages for each man, at a rate of 2.5 percent, from May 29, 2020, to January 30 this year.

CMC/

 

More Stories

New York woman’s husband charged with her murder in Jamaica

The Jamaica Constabulary Force has charged a St. James man with the murder of his wife, 35-year-old Melissa Kerry Samnath, weeks after she was...
beaches resorts turks

Beaches unveils US$150m luxury village in Turks and Caicos, announces regional expansion

Beaches Resorts has unveiled its US$150 million Treasure Beach Village in Turks and Caicos, marking what executives describe as the beginning of a new...
Island Routes

Caribbean tourism shifts toward luxury, personalized experiences, Island Routes says

Luxury and personalization are increasingly shaping the future of Caribbean tourism, according to David Shields, Vice President, Groups & Private Experiences at Island Routes....

Bahamas opposition demands probe after drug trafficking allegations linked to crash survivor

Opposition leaders in The Bahamas are calling for a formal investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida...
Guyana’s President Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana President Ali urges restraint on transport fares as global fuel pressures rise

Guyana's President Mohamed Irfaan Ali has called on public transport operators and other service providers to avoid steep fare increases, warning that consumers should...

Belize reports 8 measles cases, urges public vigilance amid regional health alert

The Belize Ministry of Health and Wellness is urging residents to remain vigilant following a rise in measles cases linked to international travel and...
Miami-Dade announce project to help safeguard homeowners against water damage and flooding

Rotary expands Haiti water initiative aiming to reach 70,000 people by 2030

Rotary International is expanding a major water and sanitation initiative in Haiti aimed at improving living conditions and reducing waterborne diseases in some of...
Regional leaders accepting US decision to deport illegal Caribbean nationals

St. Kitts receives first group of US deportees from Jamaica, Belize

The Government of St Kitts and Nevis has confirmed the arrival of the first group of third-country nationals transferred from the United States under...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Jamaica gets US$200 million in hurricane disaster protection from World Bank

After last year’s record-devastating Hurricane Melissa — which caused an estimated US$8.8 billion in damage across Jamaica — the World Bank has increased the...
CPL

CPL and UWI relaunch sports marketing internship for 2026 season

The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI) Faculty of Sport, has announced the return...

Latest Articles