Antigua Government insists West Africans were not “trafficked migrants”

The Antigua and Barbuda government says the West African nationals, who are among persons missing and feared dead when a 30-foot vessel sank off the coast of St. Kitts earlier this week “were not “trafficked migrants”, as some have wrongfully claimed.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

“In fact, over the three-month period of the migrants’ stay, attempts were made to integrate these hapless West Africans into the Antigua and Barbuda social fabric. The invitation to the UNHCR and the IOM (International Organization for Migration) by the Government are clear signals of the willingness on the administration’s part to seek an amicable settlement of the issue,” according to a statement issued following the weekly Cabinet meeting.

The statement noted that Cabinet had met with senior law enforcement agency officials including the Commissioner of Police “for a briefing on the subject of the unlawful and tragic attempt to smuggle a group of West Africans out of the state and into another Caribbean country.”

“It was agreed by all that since the West Africans entered the country on their own volition as tourists, were processed by Immigration Authorities upon landing, and were not seeking to evade law enforcement,” the statement added.

Chief Immigration Officer, Katrina Yearwood, told a news conference on Thursday that approximately 200 West Africans have left here legally since late January, with an estimated  400 still on the island.

Hopes of finding more survivors from Tuesday’s boating tragedy have dwindled significantly even as family members urged the authorities in Antigua and Barbuda and St. Kitts-Nevis to immediately release the names of those who survived so as give them closure.

Palooza 728x90

The Antigua and Barbuda government has said it would launch a “full investigation” into the circumstances that led to the sinking of the 30-foot vessel, 40 miles northwest of Antigua and 12 nautical miles south of Conaree in St Kitts, with several local and African nationals on board.

The Chief of Defence Staff of the Antigua and Barbuda Defence Force (ABDF), Colonel Telbert Benjamin, said the “vessel went down in relatively deep water, and so recovery … might be a bit of a challenge”.

Three people have been confirmed dead and 15 others were rescued on Tuesday, and the Cabinet statement said 16 people “are presumed dead since they are missing” adding “attempts are being made to identify the cadavers taken to St. Kitts, by way of photos to other members of the group of migrants”.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

The statement noted that for more than five years, the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) had agreed to attempt the establishment of an air bridge between Africa and the Caribbean.

CMC/

More Stories

beaches resorts turks

Beaches unveils US$150m luxury village in Turks and Caicos, announces regional expansion

Beaches Resorts has unveiled its US$150 million Treasure Beach Village in Turks and Caicos, marking what executives describe as the beginning of a new...
Island Routes

Caribbean tourism shifts toward luxury, personalized experiences, Island Routes says

Luxury and personalization are increasingly shaping the future of Caribbean tourism, according to David Shields, Vice President, Groups & Private Experiences at Island Routes....

Bahamas opposition demands probe after drug trafficking allegations linked to crash survivor

Opposition leaders in The Bahamas are calling for a formal investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida...
Guyana’s President Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana President Ali urges restraint on transport fares as global fuel pressures rise

Guyana's President Mohamed Irfaan Ali has called on public transport operators and other service providers to avoid steep fare increases, warning that consumers should...

Belize reports 8 measles cases, urges public vigilance amid regional health alert

The Belize Ministry of Health and Wellness is urging residents to remain vigilant following a rise in measles cases linked to international travel and...
Miami-Dade announce project to help safeguard homeowners against water damage and flooding

Rotary expands Haiti water initiative aiming to reach 70,000 people by 2030

Rotary International is expanding a major water and sanitation initiative in Haiti aimed at improving living conditions and reducing waterborne diseases in some of...
Regional leaders accepting US decision to deport illegal Caribbean nationals

St. Kitts receives first group of US deportees from Jamaica, Belize

The Government of St Kitts and Nevis has confirmed the arrival of the first group of third-country nationals transferred from the United States under...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Jamaica gets US$200 million in hurricane disaster protection from World Bank

After last year’s record-devastating Hurricane Melissa — which caused an estimated US$8.8 billion in damage across Jamaica — the World Bank has increased the...
CPL

CPL and UWI relaunch sports marketing internship for 2026 season

The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI) Faculty of Sport, has announced the return...

Grenada wins Gold at RHS Chelsea Flower Show for 19th time

Grenada has secured another Gold Medal at the 2026 RHS Chelsea Flower Show in London, bringing its total to 19 golds and marking nine...

Latest Articles