Cabbage is one of those things that a lot of people are scared of eating, maybe it’s because they don’t like the flavor or simply just don’t know how to prepare it.
Growing up in the Caribbean, we ate a lot of cabbage, mainly because my family grew it or simply because it was cheaper than most other vegetables at that time, we had it in stir-fries, chowmein, stew, soups even curry , yes curry cabbage or cabbage curry as some people may call it, but nevertheless it was all delicious. The recipe I have here is one my hubby creation, I give him some ideas and he came up with this recipe, it is so good.. It’s a Keeper.
The shredded cabbage is so good, you can even eat it on it’s own or add it to a simple salad, but the pictured cabbage above is for my special cabbage pepper medley recipe.
I add scallions, garlic and carrots and you can even add mangoes to this dish, at the end add some chopped celery and you will be in cabbage heaven.
- 2 Tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Carrots – sliced thin or shredded
- 1 medium cabbage, shredded/chopped
- 1 Christophene ( Chayote) cut into thin strips (optional)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 medium red bell pepper, de- seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, de- seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp black or white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 4-6 sprigs parsley,chopped
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and stir for one minute.
- Add carrots,cabbage, chayote and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoon water
- Cover Pot and let cook for about 3 minutes on high heat
- Add peppers and incorporate with other ingredients and stir-fry for an additional 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add Scallions, Stir!
- Add salt and black pepper, Stir!
- Add chopped parsley, mix in with rest of ingredients.
Enjoy! with your favorite protein or go vegetarian and enjoy with rice and peas.
Debra LB., simplycaribbean.net