With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, July 20 across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW 90.
Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health; To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
Coming up in the newscast, United States mourns the death of the last survivor of the acclaimed Big Six civil rights activists, Broward County imposes new nightly curfew and former FIFA Vice-President Jack Warner to contest Trinidad’s general elections.
Now for the news in the detail
On Friday, July 17, United States and the rest of the world said their goodbyes to a champion of the civil rights movement and a celebrated congressman, John Lewis. He died from advanced pancreatic cancer, just hours after the passing of the Reverend C.T. Vivian, another civil rights leader, was announced. Lewis was the youngest and last survivor of the Big Six civil rights activists, a group led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. alongside James Farmer, Phillip Randolph, Roy Wilkins and Whitney Young, that is said to have had the greatest impact on the civil rights movement. Lewis was best known for leading some 600 protesters in the Bloody Sunday march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma in 1965. Tributes to John Lewis came from politicians around the world, including former President Barack Obama who said John’s life was exceptional. Broward County Mayor Dale Holness also paid tribute to the activist, saying, “Congressman Lewis put his life on the line and was willing to sacrifice everything to build a better America. We honor his bravery and fortitude.”
Also in Broward County, a new nightly curfew has been implemented as the county recorded more than 1,300 new daily cases and positivity rates as high as 16.58% last week. The new curfew is set for 11 PM to 5 AM daily and exemptions include medical personnel, police, media practitioners and other essential workers. Mayor Holness also announced other safety measures including a limit on private gatherings at a residential property to no more than 10 people. Restaurant hours are still ordered to close at midnight, there should be no dining or drinking at bars and those using gyms and fitness centers are now required to wear masks at all times, including while exercising.
Now for Caribbean News, Trinidad’s election nomination day on July 17 saw the reemergence of embattled global football honcho, Jack Warner. The former national security minister in Trinidad filed his candidacy to contest in the elections under the Independent Liberal Party which he founded in 2013 after resigning from government. Warner is currently facing possible extradition to the United States on fraud, racketeering, and money laundering related charges arising from his tenure as the Vice President of FIFA. When asked about his reappearance, Prime Minister Keith Rowley said that Warner was “the most bold-faced person in Trinidad and Tobago”.
For more information on these and other stories, visit CNWNETWORK.com. Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet.
You’ve been watching CNW90, I’m…