With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, July 15 across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW

Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health;

To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.

Coming up in the newscast, South Florida schools to reopen online next month due to COVID-19 surge, Jamaica moves to reopen its entertainment industry and Guyana’s electorial office set on fire.

Now for the news in the detail

South Florida counties, Broward and Miami-Dade have said it is very likely that schools will reopen next month with virtual classes only, as COVID-9 cases in the state continue to rise. On Sunday, Florida record the highest one-day total in the country, with over 15,000 new COVID-19 cases. On Monday, 132 new COVID-19 deaths were confirmed, the highest death record in the state so far. Broward Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said that if conditions do not improve, students will return to schools online on August 19. Miami-Dade officials have also said that if the county is still under phase two reopening in August, students will also do the same on August 21.

Now for Caribbean News, the Jamaican government has announced a partial reopening of the island’s entertainment industry following calls from industry professionals that no considerations were previously given to them. From July 21 to the 31st, small outdoor events will be allowed to be held at established, approved venues. The events include small outdoor concerts, parties, robins, launches, religious celebrations and festivals. No more than 250 patrons and 30 crew members will be allowed for each event. Events must also end at 10 PM.

Over in Guyana, A building housing the sub-district of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) was among three buildings set ablaze on Tuesday. Law enforcement on the island said that nothing was saved from the inside the building and an investigation has been launches. The fire at GECOM comes as the country awaits the official results of the disputed March 2 regional and general election. GECOM was expected to meet on Tuesday to receive the final report with the election results, but the meeting was postponed after a private citizen filed legal action seeking to prevent the results from being declared.

In Sports News, the Hero Caribbean Premier League and the government of Trinidad & Tobago have come to an agreement for the entire 2020 season to be played there. The tournament will run from August 18 to September 10. Organizers say that all teams and officials will be housed in one hotel and everyone will be subject to strict quarantine protocols for the first two weeks. Tourists travelling from overseas will be tested for COVID-19, before departure and then again on arrival in Trinidad. CPL says it plans to have a full season, with the likes of Carlos Brathwaite, Dwayne Bravo, Alex Hales and Kieron Pollard all set to take part.

For more information on these and other stories, visit CNWNETWORK.com. Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet.

You’ve been watching CNW90.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here