Slain Haitian President Jovenel Moïse to be Buried on July 23

Jovenel Moise haitian
Jovenel Moise

The assassinated Haitian President Jovenel Moise will be buried on July 23, according to the Haitian Government.

In an announcement on Friday government officials in Haiti said the funeral will be held in the city of Cap-Haïtien, where the 53-year-old former head of state was born.

Mr. Moïse was gunned down on July 7 at his private residence by armed men, believed to be former Colombian army officials. A group of 28 foreign mercenaries, including retired Colombian soldiers, and two Haitian-Americans have been implicated so far. After a gun battle in the capital Port-au-Prince, 17 were detained, some at the house they were using, others after entering Taiwan’s diplomatic compound.

- Advertisement -

Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph told a news conference Friday that the 63-year-old Miami-based Haitian doctor, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, is a mastermind of the plot and had “political objectives.”

Joseph said 24 police officers attached to Moise’s security detail were ordered to report for questioning, adding “this investigation will run its course.

“If you want to assassinate me, come for me. The most important thing for me is the investigation,” he said.

Moise’s widow, Martine has returned to the Caribbean nation after being treated in Florida for wounds suffered in the attack.

Martine Moïse was seen wearing an arm sling and a bulletproof vest after arriving by plane at Port-au-Prince airport on Saturday. In a tweet, a Haitian official said Mrs. Moïse had returned to the country to prepare for her husband’s funeral this weekend.

The government said the funeral will be a three-day affair beginning July 21.

Books of condolences are now open at Haitian embassies and consulates for the public to sign.

 

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here