Police: Shark kills US tourist snorkeling in Bahamas

NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) — A shark attacked and killed a US cruise ship passenger who was snorkeling in waters around the Bahamas on Tuesday, according to authorities.

- Advertisement -

The incident involved a 58-year-old woman from Pennsylvania and occurred at a popular snorkeling spot near Green Cay in the northern Bahamas, police spokeswoman Chief Superintendent Chrislyn Skippings told The Associated Press.

“It’s unfortunate,” she said.

Skippings said the woman’s family identified it as a bull shark.

Royal Caribbean International said in a statement to the AP that the person died after arriving at a local hospital for treatment and that the company is helping their loved ones. They said the guest was participating in an independent shore excursion in Nassau and had been sailing on Harmony of the Seas, which is on a seven-night trip after departing Florida on Sunday.

The majority of shark attacks in the Caribbean have occurred in the Bahamas, with two reported in 2019, one of them fatal. That incident involved a Southern California woman who was on vacation and was attacked by three sharks near Rose Island, located just a half mile from where Tuesday’s attack occurred.

Palooza 728x90

In December 2020, a fatal shark attack was reported in the French Caribbean territory of St Martin, the first such incident in that region.

Overall, at least 32 shark attacks have been reported in the Bahamas since 1749, followed by 13 attacks in Cuba during that time period, including one in 2019, according to the Florida-based International Shark Attack File.

Michael Heithaus, a marine biologist at Florida International University in Miami, said in a phone interview that the high number of attacks in the Bahamas is likely linked to the fact that there are a lot of people in the water in that area and that it has a robust marine ecosystem.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

He said the Bahamas has a variety of shark species, the majority of which do not pay attention to people, except for bull sharks and tiger sharks.

“They get to very large sizes, and they eat big prey,” Heithaus said, adding that sharks have incredible sensory systems and can be attracted to food, sounds and smells in the water.

But overall, shark attacks remain rare, he stressed.

Worldwide, there were 137 shark attacks last year, 73 of them unprovoked, according to the International Shark Attack File.

 

More Stories

CPL

CPL and UWI relaunch sports marketing internship for 2026 season

The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI) Faculty of Sport, has announced the return...

Grenada wins Gold at RHS Chelsea Flower Show for 19th time

Grenada has secured another Gold Medal at the 2026 RHS Chelsea Flower Show in London, bringing its total to 19 golds and marking nine...
DeVry University

Caribbean urged to accelerate AI workforce training as digital economy expands

Caribbean countries are being urged to accelerate workforce training and education in artificial intelligence as industries across the region prepare for rapid technological change...

Guyana, UN formalize cooperation on biodiversity under Global Biodiversity Alliance

The Government of Guyana and the United Nations have signed a Declaration of Intent aimed at strengthening cooperation on biodiversity conservation, climate resilience and...
imf

Trinidad growth stuck at 0.8% as IMF flags fiscal strain and energy reliance

The International Monetary Fund says Trinidad and Tobago is expected to record modest economic growth of about 0.8 percent in 2026, supported by new...
Haiti children vulnerable to violence, poverty and displacement. (Photo: UN News - the United Nations)

UN warns Haitian children increasingly targeted and recruited by gangs

Children in Haiti are increasingly bearing the brunt of the country’s worsening gang crisis, with armed groups recruiting minors at alarming rates while killings,...
Sex Offenders Registry.

Calls grow for Belize to implement long-delayed sex offenders registry

Calls are mounting in Belize for the government to fully implement a long-promised National Sex Offenders Registry, nearly a year after officials announced plans...
marco rubio

US government imposes new sanctions on Cuban officials, security agencies

The U.S. government on Monday announced a new round of sanctions targeting senior Cuban officials and key state security agencies, accusing the island’s communist...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...

Latest Articles