PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley has described as “public mischief” social media reports that he had left the island to seek treatment in the United States after he had indicated last week that he had gone into self-quarantine after coming into contact with a person who later tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19).
According to the social media posting, Rowley had been seen arriving in the United States on a private jet accompanied by his wife and other persons on Sunday evening and questioned whether or not the country had been informed of his absence and whether or not an acting prime minister had also been appointed.
In a statement posted on his Facebook account, Prime Minister Rowley said that social media posts were coming from “the same source of political misconduct which dogged the country for the last five years.
“It is to be disregarded and dismissed for what it is, misinformation aimed at disrupting the peace, quiet and good order in our country. It is clear that some people just will not give up in their attempt to create stresses for the national population,” Rowley wrote.
He said that the fact is that the Prime Minister having tested negative last Friday, remained in home isolation and expects to be out early on Tuesday.
“During this period the Prime Minister remained engaged night and day as he worked from his home office. All members of the Prime Minister’s household are safe and well and none have travelled out of Trinidad recently.
“The Prime Minister and his family extend their deepest appreciation and thanks to the very many well-wishers and all citizens who sent kind words and prayers for the safety and well-being of the Rowley family,’ he wrote.
Trinidad and Tobago has recorded 1,184 cases of the coronavirus and 15 deaths.