On this day in history, October 31, 1671, Jamaica becomes the first British colony to establish a post office in what is now Spanish Town.
In 1776, the main Post Office was moved from Spanish Town to Harbour Street in Kingston. The Jamaican postal service operated as a sub branch of the British Post Office until 1860, when it achieved full managerial and operational autonomy. In addition, distinctive Jamaican postage stamps were introduced for the first time in 1860, to replace British stamps which were in circulation until then.
Following the 1907 earthquake, the main post office was again moved, this time to the General Post Office on King Street in downtown Kingston. However, these premises soon proved inadequate given increased mail flows and plans were drawn up to construct a new head office building including an automated central sorting office. Work on this new building started in the mid 1970’s and was completed and the sorting facility fully commissioned in 1980.
National Museum Jamaica