St Vincent to phase out reliance on Cuban doctors over three years, PM Friday says

Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday says St Vincent and the Grenadines will begin a three-year phase-out of its reliance on Cuban district medical officers as part of a broader effort to reshape the country’s health sector.

- Advertisement -

Friday announced the move while delivering the New Democratic Party (NDP) government’s first budget since its election victory on November 27 last year, outlining a new vision centred on self-reliance, staffing reforms and expanded preventative care.

Earlier this month, the United States said it remains committed to holding accountable Cuban officials and foreign governments that facilitate what Washington describes as forced labour linked to Cuba’s overseas medical missions.

“By participating in these programmes, despite known human rights abuses, foreign governments become complicit in the regime’s tactics,” the US said in a statement. “There are alternative methods available for Caribbean nations to recruit foreign medical workers and ethically meet the healthcare needs of their people.”

Friday did not indicate whether the government’s decision to reduce dependence on Cuban doctors is connected to the US position. However, he stressed that strengthening the local health system is a priority.

Delivering a EC$1.9 billion (US$0.37 to EC$1) national budget, Friday told Parliament that healthcare is fundamental to national development and economic growth.

“The health of the nation is the bedrock of productivity, resilience, and national development,” he said. “Access to affordable, high-quality healthcare is not merely a social service; it is a strategic investment in growth.”

The Ministry of Health, Wellness, Environmental Health and Energy has been allocated EC$117.5 million under the budget. Friday said the funding reflects a comprehensive approach that supports public health while strengthening environmental and energy services that affect national wellbeing.

He said the government is implementing a human resources for health plan to better align skills with service demand and address staffing gaps across the sector. Under a policy labelled “Medical Staffing Localization,” the government will begin phasing out Cuban district medical officers.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

“We will begin a three-year phase-out of the reliance on Cuban District Medical Officers, starting with the recruitment of four local medical officers in 2026 to address language barriers and reduce foreign staffing costs,” Friday said. He added that Cuban doctors may be redeployed elsewhere as needed.

The prime minister also warned that the country faces what he described as a “silent epidemic” of non-communicable diseases, citing 2023 Census data showing 12,239 cases of hypertension and 7,039 cases of diabetes nationwide.

“These conditions reduce quality of life, strain families, and place growing pressure on the health system,” he said, noting that hospital visits often reveal complications such as amputations and vision problems linked to diabetes.

Friday said the government will expand preventative care, including introducing screening for breast, cervical, prostate and colon cancers at all primary healthcare centres this year. An additional EC$1 million will be allocated to establish a Patient Support Unit to coordinate overseas radiotherapy and other life-saving treatments.

Plans are also underway to strengthen mental health services and improve geriatric care at the Lewis Punnett Home through updated admission policies and staff training. With support from a EC$6 million grant from Taiwan, the government will implement a comprehensive Health Information System aimed at digitising records and improving data-driven planning and accountability.

“The road ahead is demanding,” Friday said. “But by focusing on stabilisation, localisation, and quality, this government is building a health system that is resilient in crisis, responsive in care, and respectful of every Vincentian.”

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission

Antigua election commission rejects fraud claims, warns of possible legal action

The Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) has strongly rejected allegations questioning the legitimacy of Antigua and Barbuda’s April 30 general election and warned...
Trinidad Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Trinidad and Tobago refuses to recognize CARICOM secretary general beyond August

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says Trinidad and Tobago will not recognize Dr. Carla Barnett as Secretary General of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after her...
Andrew Holness and Mark Golding

Jamaica ranked Caribbean’s top country for electoral democracy in UNDP report

Jamaica has retained its position as the leading country in the Caribbean for electoral democracy, according to the 2025 Electoral Democracy Index featured in...

Belize highlights CARICOM opportunities for youth during panel discussion

Belizean students and young professionals gathered in Belmopan on Tuesday for a panel discussion focused on the opportunities available through Caribbean regional integration as...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica audit finds only 1.8% of Hurricane Melissa donations spent months after storm

Jamaica’s disaster response system is under scrutiny after an audit revealed that only a small portion of the billions donated for Hurricane Melissa recovery...

Davis, PLP reelected in Bahamas landslide election victory

Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis and his governing Progressive Liberal Party secured a decisive reelection on Tuesday, positioning Davis to become the first Bahamian...
plane

10 rescued after Bahamas-origin plane crashes off Florida coast

A U.S. Coast Guard rescue operation on Tuesday successfully recovered all 10 people aboard a small aircraft that crashed off the Florida coast shortly...
UN Security Council urged to speed up action on Haiti

Haiti sees alarming rise in gender-based violence, UN says

A sharp rise in gender-based violence in Haiti during the first three months of 2026 is raising alarm among United Nations humanitarian agencies, which...

Bermuda earns Positive outlook from KBRA amid economic gains

The Government of Bermuda has welcomed a new ratings decision from Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA), which affirmed the island’s long-term issuer ratings at...
Haiti MSF

MSF evacuates Haiti hospital after intense gang fighting erupts in Port-au-Prince

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) says it has evacuated and suspended operations at its hospital in the Cité Soleil neighborhood of Port-au-Prince after intense fighting...

Latest Articles