Saint Lucia government probes reports of nationals killed in US drone strike

Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre says the Government of Saint Lucia is actively working to verify reports that at least two Saint Lucians were among three individuals killed when a fishing vessel was destroyed in a United States drone strike.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

Speaking Monday morning ahead of the weekly Cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Pierre reassured citizens that the government is treating the matter with urgency. “Today, I addressed reports circulating across the region that have raised concern among our citizens,” he said. “Let me assure the nation: the Government of Saint Lucia is actively engaging through established diplomatic and security channels to verify the facts. We will communicate confirmed information to the public promptly and responsibly.”

Pierre emphasized that the government’s response is guided by a disciplined, fact-based approach. “In matters affecting national security and regional stability, speculation has no place. Our approach is disciplined, fact-based, and guided by the singular priority of protecting the people and interests of Saint Lucia,” he added.

According to reports, the United States Southern Command (SOUTHCOM), which oversees military operations in Latin America and the Caribbean, carried out the strike on Friday. The US military described it as a “lethal kinetic strike” targeting individuals suspected of involvement in drug trafficking, calling those killed “narco-terrorists.” No public evidence has been released to support these claims. SOUTHCOM also released video footage showing the vessel engulfed in flames after a missile strike.

International law and human rights experts have previously expressed concerns about such strikes, warning they could amount to extrajudicial executions, even in cases involving suspected drug traffickers.

Preliminary reports suggest that at least one of the passengers on board may have been a resident of Mon Repos, Micoud. The Government of Saint Lucia has not confirmed the identities of those killed but says it will provide updates as verified information becomes available.

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission

Antigua election commission rejects fraud claims, warns of possible legal action

The Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) has strongly rejected allegations questioning the legitimacy of Antigua and Barbuda’s April 30 general election and warned...
Trinidad Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Trinidad and Tobago refuses to recognize CARICOM secretary general beyond August

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says Trinidad and Tobago will not recognize Dr. Carla Barnett as Secretary General of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after her...
Andrew Holness and Mark Golding

Jamaica ranked Caribbean’s top country for electoral democracy in UNDP report

Jamaica has retained its position as the leading country in the Caribbean for electoral democracy, according to the 2025 Electoral Democracy Index featured in...

Belize highlights CARICOM opportunities for youth during panel discussion

Belizean students and young professionals gathered in Belmopan on Tuesday for a panel discussion focused on the opportunities available through Caribbean regional integration as...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica audit finds only 1.8% of Hurricane Melissa donations spent months after storm

Jamaica’s disaster response system is under scrutiny after an audit revealed that only a small portion of the billions donated for Hurricane Melissa recovery...

Davis, PLP reelected in Bahamas landslide election victory

Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis and his governing Progressive Liberal Party secured a decisive reelection on Tuesday, positioning Davis to become the first Bahamian...
plane

10 rescued after Bahamas-origin plane crashes off Florida coast

A U.S. Coast Guard rescue operation on Tuesday successfully recovered all 10 people aboard a small aircraft that crashed off the Florida coast shortly...
UN Security Council urged to speed up action on Haiti

Haiti sees alarming rise in gender-based violence, UN says

A sharp rise in gender-based violence in Haiti during the first three months of 2026 is raising alarm among United Nations humanitarian agencies, which...

Bermuda earns Positive outlook from KBRA amid economic gains

The Government of Bermuda has welcomed a new ratings decision from Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA), which affirmed the island’s long-term issuer ratings at...
Haiti MSF

MSF evacuates Haiti hospital after intense gang fighting erupts in Port-au-Prince

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) says it has evacuated and suspended operations at its hospital in the Cité Soleil neighborhood of Port-au-Prince after intense fighting...

Latest Articles