PM Holness reassures Jamaicans there is no ban on Christmas parties

Prime Minister Dr. the Most Hon. Andrew Holness has reassured Jamaicans that there is no ban on festive celebrations, dismissing social media rumours claiming citizens are prohibited from hosting parties during the Christmas season.

- Advertisement -

The clarification comes amid confusion sparked by comments made at a post-Cabinet press briefing last week, where the Government announced the cancellation of official Christmas parties across ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) as Jamaica recovers from the impact of Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.

At the December 10 briefing at Jamaica House, Minister of Education, Skills, Youth and Information, Senator Dr. Dana Morris Dixon, said the directive applied only to government-hosted events, not to the general public or private sector.

“We have agreed to allow small in-ministry or in-department recognition and morale-building activities,” Morris Dixon said. “So, if you are doing something in the office itself, that is fine, but no rental of external venues is allowed.”

The Minister also urged the private sector to proceed with Christmas events, warning against a slowdown in economic activity, particularly in areas not as heavily impacted by the storm.

“We really do need to make up for what is happening in the west, in terms of the downturn in economic activity,” she said. “So, those of us in areas that haven’t been affected as much, please go out and spend money.”

Palooza 728x90

The Prime Minister warned that the spread of misinformation has the potential to undermine public order and create unnecessary confusion.

“There are those people… who are vested in telling you lies to mislead you,” Dr. Holness said. “For what reason? I don’t know. Maybe they want the country to descend in chaos. They don’t like to see law and order.”

Dr. Holness was speaking with residents at the hurricane shelter at Petersfield High School in Westmoreland during the Prime Minister’s Christmas Treat on Saturday, December 13.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

While encouraging entertainment and festive activities, the Prime Minister emphasized that events must be properly organised and comply with public safety requirements. He noted that the police are prepared to issue permits once promoters make the necessary arrangements.

“The police have said that they will give permits for parties so long as the promoters make the proper arrangements,” he said.

Dr. Holness outlined practical considerations organisers must address, particularly in communities still affected by infrastructural challenges following recent storms.

“Some places don’t have light, so if you’re going to keep a party, you have to put up light. You have to get one generator, people have to have water [to] use bathroom facilities,” he explained.

He also stressed the importance of security at entertainment events, noting that some venues can be targeted by criminals.

“You have to prepare for the safety of the patrons. So, you need to arrange for security,” the Prime Minister said.

“The government wants communities to return to normal, and therefore, go back to your business. Having parties and dances are part of the business to return the community to business,” he added.

Dr. Holness also cautioned Jamaicans to be careful about the information they consume, especially on social media.

“Information is like food. If you consume bad food, it will make your body unhealthy. If you consume bad information, it will make your mind unhealthy,” he said, warning that false claims can lead to poor decision-making.

More Stories

US Immigration services move toward personal interviews to comply with new laws - Caribbean National Weekly News

USCIS policy memo tightens path to green cards, requiring most applicants abroad

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a new policy memo that could significantly reshape how foreign nationals — including many from...
hemp

Guyana advances plans to develop industrial hemp sector, identifies Regions Six and Ten for cultivation

Guyana's Minister of Agriculture Zulfikar Mustapha says the government is moving ahead with plans to establish an industrial hemp industry, with Regions Six and...

CARICOM secretary-general urges unified regional approach amid global uncertainty

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretary-General Carla Barnett is urging Caribbean foreign ministers to deepen regional coordination and strengthen the bloc’s unified international voice as the...
Bahamas PM

Bahamas government unveils tougher immigration measures in new legislative agenda

The government of The Bahamas has announced a series of stricter immigration enforcement measures, including daily fines for visa overstays, stronger penalties for immigration...
Mavis Gilmour

Jamaican government establishes Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour

The Jamaican government has established the Hon. Mavis Gilmour Centenarian Honour, a new national recognition that will annually celebrate the oldest Jamaican citizen. Minister of...

Jamaican fugitive wanted for murder in Saint Lucia sentenced on US firearms charge

A Jamaican man wanted for murder in Saint Lucia has been sentenced to federal prison in the United States after pleading guilty to possessing...
antigua

Antigua and Barbuda to implement enhanced airport screening amid Ebola concerns

The government of Antigua and Barbuda has announced enhanced health screening and surveillance measures for incoming travelers following growing international concern over Ebola outbreaks...

Jamaica to expand cancer screening and treatment capacity with IAEA support

Jamaica is set to receive technical support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Government moves to significantly expand cancer care services...
heatwaves climate crisis Caribbean

Jamaica monitoring El Niño development amid rising drought concerns

The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (Met Service) says it is closely monitoring climate indicators suggesting the possible development of a major El Niño event,...

Guyana launches probe into alleged abuse of Indian quarry workers

The government of Guyana has launched an investigation into allegations of abuse and labor violations involving 38 Indian workers employed at a quarrying company...

Latest Articles