Haitian gang leader warns residents to stay indoors ahead of police confrontation

The leader of the “Viv Ansanm” gang coalition, Jimmy Chérizier, also known as “Barbecue,” has called on residents of Port-au-Prince to remain indoors as his group prepares to confront law enforcement in the streets of the Haitian capital.

- Advertisement -

In a video message released Sunday, Chérizier warned that the Haitian National Police (PNH) has suspended all leave and vacations for officers until further notice.

“This message is addressed to the Haitian people in general. Starting this Monday, November 17, 2025, unless absolutely necessary, do not go out. All drivers’ unions, stay home. All public transport drivers, stay home. We are announcing this without taking drastic measures, in order to inform the public about what will happen, to prevent them from becoming victims. Those who don’t need to, do not go out into the streets. Leave the streets to ‘Viv Ansanm’ and the police so that we can confront them,” Chérizier said.

He added, “If you ignore this and go out, we are not responsible for what might happen to you. The time has come, Haitian people, to unite to liberate this country.”

Chérizier’s warning follows a large-scale joint operation earlier this month by the PNH, the Armed Forces of Haiti (FAD’H), and the Gang Suppression Force (GSF) targeting the “400 Mawozo” criminal gang. The operation focused on the communes of Tabarre and Croix-des-Bouquets, areas north of Port-au-Prince that authorities say were under gang control.

Last Friday, specialized units conducted a coordinated, intelligence-led raid against leaders and members of the “400 Mawozo,” seizing a significant arsenal of weapons and increasing police presence in the previously controlled neighborhoods.

Palooza 728x90

According to PNH spokesman Inspector Garry Desrosiers, at least seven gang members were fatally wounded and numerous others were injured. Several assault weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including a .50 caliber American Barrett rifle—a high-precision sniper weapon capable of hitting targets up to 2,800 meters away and penetrating steel plates two centimetres thick.

Desrosiers confirmed that no security personnel were injured during the operation.

More Stories

CPL

CPL and UWI relaunch sports marketing internship for 2026 season

The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI) Faculty of Sport, has announced the return...

Grenada wins Gold at RHS Chelsea Flower Show for 19th time

Grenada has secured another Gold Medal at the 2026 RHS Chelsea Flower Show in London, bringing its total to 19 golds and marking nine...
DeVry University

Caribbean urged to accelerate AI workforce training as digital economy expands

Caribbean countries are being urged to accelerate workforce training and education in artificial intelligence as industries across the region prepare for rapid technological change...

Guyana, UN formalize cooperation on biodiversity under Global Biodiversity Alliance

The Government of Guyana and the United Nations have signed a Declaration of Intent aimed at strengthening cooperation on biodiversity conservation, climate resilience and...
imf

Trinidad growth stuck at 0.8% as IMF flags fiscal strain and energy reliance

The International Monetary Fund says Trinidad and Tobago is expected to record modest economic growth of about 0.8 percent in 2026, supported by new...
Haiti children vulnerable to violence, poverty and displacement. (Photo: UN News - the United Nations)

UN warns Haitian children increasingly targeted and recruited by gangs

Children in Haiti are increasingly bearing the brunt of the country’s worsening gang crisis, with armed groups recruiting minors at alarming rates while killings,...
Sex Offenders Registry.

Calls grow for Belize to implement long-delayed sex offenders registry

Calls are mounting in Belize for the government to fully implement a long-promised National Sex Offenders Registry, nearly a year after officials announced plans...
marco rubio

US government imposes new sanctions on Cuban officials, security agencies

The U.S. government on Monday announced a new round of sanctions targeting senior Cuban officials and key state security agencies, accusing the island’s communist...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...

Latest Articles