Tired of the usual white bread bought at your local grocery store? Ever wanted to create your own bread? Try Guyanese Plait Bread, paired perfectly with Guyanese Pepper Pot.
What you’ll need:
- 3 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp warm water
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl add warm water and sugar, add yeast and let sit for 10 minutes
- Add flour, melted butter, and salt and mix to form a dough
- Add 2 tablespoon and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cover bowl with a cloth and set aside in a warm place to allow dough to rise for 45 minutes
- After 45 minutes remove from bowl and place on floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes and a form into a smooth ball.
- Cut the dough into 3 even pieces and roll each piece into 14-inch logs
- Braid the logs to form a loaf. Press the ends together and tuck underneath to form a loaf shape.
- Let the loaf self-rise for another 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add egg yolk and water and mix. Use this mixture to brush on the top of the dough
- Place the dough in over and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve to hungry friends and family.