With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, April 12, across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW 90.

Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health;

To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.

Coming up in the newscast, Miami-Dade County lifts COVID-19 curfew, Jamaica’s medical association urges government to extend weekend lockdowns, and St Vincent residents evacuated amid volcanic eruptions.

Now for the news in the detail

Miami-Dade County’s COVID-19 midnight curfew has been lifted. Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced last week that as of today, April 12, the nightly curfew on non-essential businesses, restaurants, and bars will no longer be in place. The county has been under a nightly curfew for the past year. Levine Cava also announced that starting on Tuesday, daycares will be able to double capacity and senior centers will be allowed to reopen. Elsewhere in South Florida, Broward County Commissioners have agreed to lift social distancing and capacity restrictions. But Mayor Steve Geller says the county needs to get to a 50 percent vaccination rate and a 5% positivity rate first.

Now for Caribbean News,

In Jamaica,

The Medical Association of Jamaica has called on Prime Minister Andrew Holness to extend the weekend lockdowns. The last of three weekend lockdowns announced by Holness ended on April 12. But President of the association, Andrew Manning said that local hospitals are still under pressure and the government should continue to restrict movement on the island. Last week, Prime Minister Holness had warned that if the lockdowns had not been successful in decreasing COVID-19 infections, even stricter measures would be announced.

And in St. Vincent,

Several Caribbean countries have mobilized to assist residents of St Vincent amid volcanic eruptions. The La Soufriere volcano began erupting on April 9, marking the first eruption in over 40 years. The governments of Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis and Dominica have agreed to provide accommodation for thousands of St Vincent nationals. Some 20,000 people had to be evacuated from the red zone near the volcano. There have been no reports of deaths, but many buildings near the volcano have collapsed. Other Caribbean countries including Barbados, Trinidad, Guyana and Jamaica have also agreed to provide relief to St Vincent. Scientists say that they expect the eruptions to continue for days or even weeks. Neighbouring islands Barbados and St Lucia will also continue to be affected by the volcanic ash.

For more information on these and other stories, visit

CNWNETWORK.com. Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet.

 

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here