With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, August 5 across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW 90.
Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health;
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
Coming up in the newscast, 22 voting sites to open in Broward County, Bahamas implements another national lockdown after covid-19 spike and Jamaica to hold virtual independence celebrations.
Now for the news in the detail
Early voting for the August 18 primary election begins Saturday, August 8 and runs through Sunday, August 16. Broward Mayor Dale Holness yesterday announced that 22 sites will be opened throughout Broward County to facilitate early voting. On the weekends, Saturday & Sunday, August 8th & 9th and August 15th and 16th, the sites will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. During the week, from Monday to Friday, August 10th through August 14th, sites will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Sites include the Miramar Branch Library, Lauderhill Mall, Coral Ridge Mall and the Hollywood Brach Library. For the entire list, visit cnwnetwork.com
Also In Local News, Florida has recorded less than 8,000 new covid-19 cases daily, for the last three days. On Tuesday, 245 COVID-19 resident deaths were reported, the third-highest total death total. Tuesday also added 5,446 new cases. Tuesdays numbers followed Monday’s 4,752 new reported cases, the lowest for Florida since late June. On Sunday, 7104 new cases were reported. Florida has not seen less than 8,000 new cases a day since July 7. But this decline is as a result of all the state-supported testing sites being closed last week Thursday due to Tropical Storm Isaias. Last week, Florida broke the COVID-19 daily death toll multiple times, reporting 186 deaths on Tuesday, 216 on Wednesday, 253 on Thursday and the highest so far, 257 on Friday.
Now for Caribbean News, Bahamian Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis on Monday announced another national lockdown, which began on Tuesday night, as a means of attempting to slow the second wave of COVID-19. In March, after its first COVID-19 case, Bahamas implemented the first 24-hour curfew and shut down its borders. But shortly after allowing non-essential travel to the island on July 1, The Bahamas saw an increase in cases almost immediately. As of July 10, the island had confirmed 108 cases and 11 deaths. And in the following weeks, the island saw over 550 additional cases. While residents of the Bahamas will now be on lockdown for the next two weeks, tourists, including those from the United States, are still allowed to visit. They will however need to provide a negative covid-19 test and quarantine for 14 days.
In the meantime, Jamaica’s usual grand gala celebrations will take a low-key turn this year, as the island plans to deliver virtual celebrations, amid COVID-19. In the years past, the island has celebrated “emanci-pendence” week with a range of activities that ended with the massive grand gala at the national stadium. But this year, due to the restrictions of COVID-19, there can be no major event. Minister of Culture, Olivia “Babsy” Grange said that the ‘Independence Spectacular’ will be the virtual edition of the Grand Gala on August 6. The theme for this year’s celebrations is ‘Resilient and Strong…Let’s Celebrate Jamaica 58’. Grange said that Jamaicans across the diaspora have been encouraged to participate, especially in the “spirit of Independence” competition.
For more information on these and other stories, visit CNWNETWORK.com. Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet.
You’ve been watching CNW90, I’m…