|The mayor of the the City of Miami Francis Suarez has been appointed to the National League of Cities’ Task Force on Housing, a group tasked with addressing how communities can better respond to the growing challenge of housing availability, investment and quality.
Seeking innovative, comprehensive housing solutions“I am honored to be selected as part of the National League of Cities’ Task Force on Housing. Being part of these initiatives is instrumental in our ongoing efforts to address our affordable housing crisis,” said Mayor Suarez. “Part of what will make us a model for resiliency is our ability to provide housing to residents of all income levels. This Task Force will help us continue building upon innovative and comprehensive housing solutions that will enhance our residents’ quality of life.”
The task force is under the leadership of NLC President Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor of Gary, Indiana, and chaired by Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser.
Providing security of a safe home
“Every American deserves a place to call home. But in cities across the country, serious shortages of adequate housing mean that too many residents don’t have the security of a stable home,” said National League of Cities President Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor of Gary, Indiana. “Local leaders are on the frontlines of ensuring that residents have safe, affordable housing and through the formation of this task force we will leverage our collective experience to help solve this urgent challenge.”
Mayor Suarez joins a diverse group of mayors to develop a set of best and promising practices at the local level, as well as policy recommendations to federal and state governments.
Other task-force members
Other members of the National League of Cities Task Force on Housing include:
- Mayor Muriel Bowser of Washington, D.C., Chair
- Councilmember Jesse Matthews of Bessemer, Alabama
- Mayor John Giles of Mesa, Arizona
- Mayor Libby Schaaf of Oakland, California
- Councilmember Albus Brooks of Denver, Colorado
- Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta, Georgia
- Councilmember Denise Moore of Peoria , Illinois
- Councilmember Brandon Scott of Baltimore, Maryland
- Mayor Vi Lyles of Charlotte, North Carolina
- Councilmember David Bobzien of Reno, Nevada
- Mayor Lovely Warren of Rochester, New York
- Mayor Jamael Tito Brown of Youngstown, Ohio
- Councilmember Greg Evans of Eugene, Oregon
- Councilmember Lana Wolff of Arlington, Texas
- Mayor Ron Nirenberg of San Antonio, Texas
- Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda, Seattle, Washington
- Carolyn Coleman, executive director of the League of California Cities
- Daniel P. Gilmartin, executive director & CEO, Michigan Municipal League
About The National League of Cities
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans. Learn more at www.nlc.org.