Food for the Poor honors Haiti 2010 Earthquake anniversary

Damage caused to infrastructure in the 2010 Haiti earthquake

Interdenominational Christian ministry Food For The Poor is commemorating the six-year anniversary of the Haiti earthquake by keeping its promise to help the Haitian people recover from one of the worst natural disasters in the Caribbean country’s history. Since the Jan. 12, 2010 tragedy, the charity has built 5,900 permanent two-room concrete block homes with water and sanitation, providing more than 35,400 people with a safe and secure place to live. The charity also has built or restored 37 schools in the Port-au-Prince area, and shipped 6,260 tractor-trailer loads of essential aid.

“After the catastrophic earthquake, Food For The Poor made the commitment to be there for the long haul. Building secure homes for displaced families living in inhumane conditions became our priority, along with restoring as many schools as possible,” said Robin Mahfood, President/CEO of Food For The Poor.

Since the earthquake, the organization also increased their efforts last year, responding to 2015 deportation crisis between the Dominican Republic and Haiti, which exacerbated the number of homeless in Haiti.

“This immigration battle has sent thousands of people, many with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a few personal items, flooding into Haiti.,” said Mahfood. “This organization is making the same promise to families living in dangerous conditions along the border. Our goal has been, and will continue to be, to help victims of natural or man-made disasters – one person, one family at a time.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here