Broward Schools Says Its Mask Mandate Will Stay in Place Despite Recent Ruling

The heads of Broward County Public Schools and the school board say the district’s mask mandate for students will stay in place, despite the recent ruling that upholds Governor Ron DeSantis’s ban on such mandates.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

On Friday, an appeals judge ruled that the Governor can continue to enforce his mask mandate ban, for now.

But the Broward school district is standing its ground, saying it will not be reversing its mask mandate for students. Broward is one of 13 school districts in Florida that have defied the governor’s orders.

The Chair of the school board, Dr. Rosalind Osgood, said that COVID-19 is killing scores of residents in the community and the district is doing everything to keep children safe, but the state isn’t helping.

“In Broward County, we see people dying. We’re attending funerals. We see kids and staff being impacted by COVID-19. We’re having a real-life experience where people that we love, work and play with are dying every day. Our cry is based on the need to provide some safety and stability to the people in our community,” she said.

The state has already withheld the salaries of school board members in Broward County because of its mask policy. Broward and Alachua are the only two counties that have suffered consequences so far.

Palooza 728x90

But Broward Interim Superintendent Vickie Cartwright said there is no plan on lifting their mask mandate.

“Our local school board is acting under the Florida constitution, within their rights, within what they are charged to be doing for their local community. This is about something greater than politics. It has nothing to do with Republican and Democrat views, and everything to do with us being in the middle of a pandemic,” Cartwright said.

The school district has also called on the state to release federal funding for school districts that they say the state has failed to deliver, including millions owed to Broward County.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

“We don’t have a process to ask for these funds,” Cartwright said. “We’re talking about well over half a billion dollars.”

In the meantime, the U.S. Department of Education has launched an investigation into how mask policies are being handled in Florida.

The Florida Department of Education responded to the investigation by releasing the following statement:

“This letter, and accompanying press release, is pure political grandstanding from the Broward County School District and Superintendent who have already repeatedly shown that they only care about scoring political points and being noticed by their party leaders in D.C.”

More Stories

Dr. Howard Hepburn, Superintendent of Broward County Schools

Broward could close more than 10 schools in 2027

Broward County Public Schools could undergo its most significant round of school closures in years, with more than 10 schools potentially shutting down in...
florida voting elections

Miami-Dade Supervisor of Elections announces 2026 candidate qualifying periods for key local offices

The Office of the Miami-Dade County Supervisor of Elections has released the official pre-qualifying and qualifying schedules for several offices set to appear on...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...
48th CARICOM Heads Conference to Tackle Current Geopolitical Challenges

CARICOM urges protection of Strait of Hormuz transit passage amid Middle East tensions

CARICOM has expressed growing concern over escalating hostilities in the Middle East, warning that military activity affecting the Strait of Hormuz could have serious...

Jamaican computer science student earns prestigious AI internship in Japan

A final-year Computer Science student at University of Technology, Jamaica is being recognized internationally after securing a coveted spot in a competitive artificial intelligence...

GraceKennedy Foundation annual lecture to spotlight Kingston Harbour cleanup progress

The GraceKennedy Foundation will focus on the ongoing restoration of Kingston Harbour during its 36th Annual Public Lecture, set for June 5 in observance...
Edmund-Bartlett-Jamaica-Tourism-Restart-Recovery-Task-Force

Jamaica unveils new airline routes, $5 billion tourism investment push amid strong visitor growth

Jamaica’s tourism sector is poised for major expansion with new airline routes, billions in hotel investments, and a regional aviation summit on the horizon,...

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

Latest Articles