Jamaica reports surge in COVID-19 cases

Jamaica’s Health and Wellness Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton has raised an alarm on a surge in COVID-19 cases in the country.

- Advertisement -
Taste Of the Caribbean Islands-728x90

The matter was discussed during the Post Cabinet Press Briefing held at Jamaica House’s Banquet Hall on Wednesday.

Minister Tufton reported that COVID maintains a trend of growing numbers. He said that he addressed the situation in Parliament just last week, pointing out a monthly average of 100 cases since January.

“I’m told, up to last night, that we’re now seeing 130 [cases],” he added.

Reports are that as of July 15, there were 37 active COVID-19 cases in St Thomas. The parish’s Health Officer, Dr. D’Oyen Smith, affirmed that managing the virus remains a top priority for the health department.

More on COVID-19 and the Caribbean

Mask Mandates: A balance between precaution and necessity

However, the Ministry of Health conveyed that there is no immediate necessity to mandate mask-wearing once again, but it implored high-risk groups to proceed with caution.

Palooza 728x90

Despite the heightened number of confirmed cases, Dr. Christopher Tufton emphasized that there has not been a considerable surge in fatalities.

“The good part of that, of course, is that we’re not seeing any significant increase in deaths, which is the extreme case. Every death is regrettable, of course. But the fact that we’re seeing increases in positivity, it means that it will have an impact on hospitalization and bed occupancy. And the fact that people are in hospital means the probability of people dying will increase. So, we can’t take it lightly,” he said.

Advice for vulnerable groups amid the increase

Dr. Tufton strongly advises the most susceptible individuals to take appropriate actions to stay clear of COVID-19.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Tufton advised those who are vulnerable, in doubt, and are concerned, to see their doctors.

“There are infection prevention and control mechanisms that are standard operating procedures such as mask-wearing, sanitization, avoiding of crowds, particularly if you fall in the vulnerable category [over 65], underlying conditions; cancers, front line workers,” he further advised.

The latest news from Jamaica & The Caribbean

Read more articles about Jamaica from Caribbean National Weekly

 

More Stories

CPL

CPL and UWI relaunch sports marketing internship for 2026 season

The Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL), in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI) Faculty of Sport, has announced the return...

Grenada wins Gold at RHS Chelsea Flower Show for 19th time

Grenada has secured another Gold Medal at the 2026 RHS Chelsea Flower Show in London, bringing its total to 19 golds and marking nine...
DeVry University

Caribbean urged to accelerate AI workforce training as digital economy expands

Caribbean countries are being urged to accelerate workforce training and education in artificial intelligence as industries across the region prepare for rapid technological change...

Guyana, UN formalize cooperation on biodiversity under Global Biodiversity Alliance

The Government of Guyana and the United Nations have signed a Declaration of Intent aimed at strengthening cooperation on biodiversity conservation, climate resilience and...
imf

Trinidad growth stuck at 0.8% as IMF flags fiscal strain and energy reliance

The International Monetary Fund says Trinidad and Tobago is expected to record modest economic growth of about 0.8 percent in 2026, supported by new...
Haiti children vulnerable to violence, poverty and displacement. (Photo: UN News - the United Nations)

UN warns Haitian children increasingly targeted and recruited by gangs

Children in Haiti are increasingly bearing the brunt of the country’s worsening gang crisis, with armed groups recruiting minors at alarming rates while killings,...
Sex Offenders Registry.

Calls grow for Belize to implement long-delayed sex offenders registry

Calls are mounting in Belize for the government to fully implement a long-promised National Sex Offenders Registry, nearly a year after officials announced plans...
marco rubio

US government imposes new sanctions on Cuban officials, security agencies

The U.S. government on Monday announced a new round of sanctions targeting senior Cuban officials and key state security agencies, accusing the island’s communist...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...

Latest Articles