Former Haitian head of police charged in connection with 2016 illegal arms shipment

PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – The lawyers representing former director general of the Haitian National Police (PNH), Godson Orelus, is threatening to take legal action against an investigating judge probing the importation of illegal arms in 2016, after their client was slapped with several charges related to the seizure.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

The nine witnesses, including seven, who failed to answer subpoenas to appear before the investigating judge, are now facing charges ranging from transnational illicit trafficking in firearms and ammunition, smuggling, forgery and forgery, money laundering and criminal conspiracy.

Justice Dieunel Lumeran, the investigating judge of the Court of First Instance (TPI) of Saint-Marc, had been probing the illegal arms that were seized at the Port of St. Marc in September 2016.

The lawyers contend that their client had been asked to appear before the judge as a witness only to be charged later with the crimes. They also said the examining magistrate had refused to decide on their request for denial of justice.

The former West Departmental Director of Police, Vladimir Paraison, who had also been questioned by the judge, had also made a request for his removal on the ground of legitimate suspicion.

The former minister of the interior, Reginald Delva, has become the latest high profile former Haitian official to be questioned in connection with the illegal shipment of arms from the United states in 2016.

Palooza 728x90

Last month, unidentified gunmen fired bullets at the residence of Justice Lumérant,

Customs and police officials had in 2016 carried out a search of a truck loaded with used items from Miami where they discovered and seized a large quantity of weapons, ammunition and various military equipment.

In 2016, two suspects, Klétex Laguerre and Nomie Saül Bata, were arrested after they were accused of complicity in the matter.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

In addition, the two men have been arrested in the United States and accused of illegally shipping weapons to Haiti. Three other people are being sought.

More Stories

UN Security Council urged to speed up action on Haiti

Haiti sees alarming rise in gender-based violence, UN says

A sharp rise in gender-based violence in Haiti during the first three months of 2026 is raising alarm among United Nations humanitarian agencies, which...
Haiti MSF

MSF evacuates Haiti hospital after intense gang fighting erupts in Port-au-Prince

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) says it has evacuated and suspended operations at its hospital in the Cité Soleil neighborhood of Port-au-Prince after intense fighting...

Pope Leo XIV meets Haitian Prime Minister amid worsening crisis in Haiti

The head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Leo XIV, met on Saturday with Haitian Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé at the Vatican, as...
CARICOM continues to support Albert Ramdin for OAS Sec General

OAS reports progress on Haiti roadmap, calls for stronger implementation phase

The Secretary General of the Organization of American States, Albert R. Ramdin, has presented an update to member states outlining progress in the organisation’s...
Haiti UN

UN report warns of worsening violence and humanitarian toll in Haiti

The United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti has reported that at least 1,642 people were killed and 745...
Protests in Haiti against budget

Four convicted in plot to assassinate Haitian President Jovenel Moïse

A federal jury in Miami has convicted four men for their roles in the July 7, 2021, assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse. The United...
Cap-Haïtien International Airport Haiti

Haiti–Dominican Republic flight resumption delayed as security protocol work continues

The planned reopening of air travel between Haiti and the Dominican Republic has been postponed, with Dominican authorities citing the need to finalize a...

IACHR expresses concern over rising violence in Haiti

The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) has raised alarm over escalating gang-related violence in Haiti and reports indicating that recent law enforcement operations...
Haiti Princess Sarah Zeid

Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan urges global responsibility during Haiti mission

Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan, Senior Special Advisor to the World Food Programme (WFP), has called for stronger international action to support Haiti’s most...
healthcare collapses in Haiti

MSF warns of worsening humanitarian crisis as healthcare collapses in Haiti

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is warning that Haiti’s humanitarian situation has continued to deteriorate sharply, with escalating violence, collapsing public services, and...

Latest Articles