The government of Antigua and Barbuda has announced enhanced health screening and surveillance measures for incoming travelers following growing international concern over Ebola outbreaks in parts of Central Africa.
The measures were outlined during Thursday’s post-Cabinet media briefing, where Maurice Merchant said Health Minister Michael Joseph updated Cabinet on steps being taken to strengthen the country’s preparedness against Ebola, hantavirus and malaria.
The announcement follows a declaration by the World Health Organization that the Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus strain in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under International Health Regulations.
According to WHO data presented during the briefing, eight laboratory-confirmed Ebola cases, 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths had been reported in Ituri Province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as of May 16. Uganda also confirmed two Ebola cases, including one death, involving travelers from the Congo.
Merchant said Antigua and Barbuda’s Ministry of Health has begun upgrading operations at the Port Health Unit to strengthen monitoring at the country’s ports of entry. Expanded screening measures are expected to take effect this weekend.
Under the new protocols, incoming travelers will be required to provide details of their travel history for the previous 21 days. Health authorities will use the information to determine whether passengers recently visited or transited through countries where Ebola or other monitored illnesses are active.
The move comes just days before the launch of new flights by Air Peace connecting Antigua and Lagos, Nigeria.
Merchant said the scheduled service contributed to the government’s decision to accelerate surveillance measures.
“The flight from Nigeria was scheduled months ago, and hence, with what is taking place in parts of Africa, the government thinks that it is necessary to step up its surveillance efforts to protect Antigua and Barbuda from any possible exposure to any of these illnesses,” Merchant said.
He noted that monitoring would also extend to passengers who may not have traveled directly from affected countries but transited through them before arriving in Antigua and Barbuda.
Merchant also confirmed that two imported malaria cases were recently detected in Antigua. He said the Ministry of Health is expected to provide additional details during a press briefing before the end of the week or early next week.
Cabinet was further advised that the country’s Infectious Disease Centre is being prepared as a precautionary measure in the event suspected cases need to be isolated or monitored.
Merchant said the facility, which has not been fully utilized in recent years, will undergo cleaning and reorganization before becoming operational if necessary.
“They can be housed there,” Merchant said in reference to individuals who raise concerns among health officials upon arrival.
He added that the government is relying on lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic and plans to deploy trained personnel to ports of entry beginning this weekend.









