Jamaican sprint King Usain Bolt may yet make an appearance at the Commonwealth Games despite ruling out competing next year in the Gold Coast of Australia.
This time he may appear of some sort in a capacity off the track.
“He won’t be competing, you all know that, but we are trying to get him to come in some capacity,” Gold Coast organizing committee chairman Peter Beattie told reporters on Wednesday.
“(GOLDOC chief executive) Mark (Peters) has met with the (athlete’s) manager on a couple of occasions and we will continue those discussions. We will do everything we can to get Usain Bolt to the Gold Coast for this event,” he added.
The 30-year-old world record holder, who completed a “treble treble” of 100m, 200m and 4x100m Olympic titles at the 2016 Rio Games, said in February he had no plans to extend his career beyond this year’s world championships in London.
Bolt last raced in Melbourne last month at the first Nitro Series meeting with a team of international “All-Stars”.