Trinidad and Tobago Parliament approves SOE extension

Trinidad and Tobago’s Parliament on Monday unanimously approved a three-month extension of the state of emergency (SOE), sparking a heated debate between government and opposition lawmakers over accountability for the country’s high murder rate.

- Advertisement -

Earlier in the day, legislators acknowledged President Christine Kangaloo’s decision to declare the SOE on December 30, 2024, but Opposition Leader Kamla Persad Bissessar criticized the move as poorly timed, calling instead for fresh general elections. During the debate, Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley defended the SOE extension, arguing that the initial 15-day period was insufficient to address the crime wave effectively.

“It is too early to say that it has been successful,” Rowley said. “We need more time to strengthen law enforcement efforts, interrogate suspects, convert intelligence into evidence, and detain those responsible for wreaking havoc on our communities.”

Rowley rejected accusations of inconsistency, noting his administration’s reluctance to impose curfews due to their impact on small businesses. He dismissed Persad Bissessar’s claim that the government’s alleged inaction had contributed to over 5,000 murders since 2015, countering that similar logic could attribute responsibility for 2,435 deaths to her administration from 2010 to 2015.

Rowley also challenged Persad Bissessar’s assertion that an earlier SOE declaration could have saved lives, calling the claim “mere conjecture.” He emphasized the complex nature of combating crime, stating, “Pointing fingers will not solve the problem. Criminals thrive when we are divided.”

Energy Minister Stuart Young bolstered the government’s case, highlighting the enhanced powers granted under the SOE regulations. “These measures allow the police to act more decisively, with the ability to conduct searches and seizures without warrants in specific, limited circumstances,” Young said. “This is not possible under existing laws like the Firearms Act or the Anti-Gang Act.”

Palooza 728x90

Opposition legislator Saddam Hosein dismissed the SOE as an election tactic, arguing that current laws already provide sufficient tools to combat crime. However, Young rebutted this, stating that the emergency powers are essential for a more robust law enforcement response.

As Trinidad and Tobago grapples with its escalating crime rate, the extension of the SOE underscores the government’s determination to curb violence, though critics remain skeptical of its long-term effectiveness.

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles