Reinstated public sector workers in St. Vincent protest reduced bonuses

Some reinstated public sector workers in St. Vincent are accusing the government of reneging on campaign promises after discovering they received far smaller bonuses than expected.

- Advertisement -

Workers who returned to their posts under the New Democratic Party (NDP) administration said they were promised EC$1,500 to EC$2,000 (US$555–740) during last year’s election campaign, but salary slips show payments as low as EC$125 to EC$166.67. Close to 100 reinstated workers appear worst affected, receiving as little as one-twelfth of the promised amounts.

The discrepancy comes after a January 26 government memo clarified that public servants who did not work the full year in 2025 were ineligible for the full bonus — a detail absent from the NDP’s news conference announcing the payments. Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday, Attorney General Louise Mitchell, and Minister of Health Daniel Cummings all spoke at the announcement.

The controversy touches on a wider issue dating back to November 2021, when more than 500 public servants lost their jobs for failing to take the COVID-19 vaccine. During last year’s campaign, the NDP pledged to reinstate the workers with all benefits intact, citing a March 2023 High Court ruling by Justice Esco Henry, which found the mandate unconstitutional and awarded full pay, benefits, and pension rights to affected employees.

Despite the Court of Appeal overturning Justice Henry’s ruling, the NDP maintained its position that reinstated workers should be treated as if their service had never been interrupted. Unions have appealed the matter to the London-based Privy Council, where it remains pending.

Attorney General Mitchell said the government is enforcing its policy of reinstatement with full benefits, noting that 92 of 100 returning workers have been placed in positions equivalent to their prior roles. However, the reduced bonus payments have caused frustration among the reinstated employees, who say the government is treating them as if their service had been broken.

Palooza 728x90

“Beyond being government policy, it’s the right thing to do, and we want to make sure that those persons who have suffered so much in the past don’t continue to suffer when the government has made a commitment,” Mitchell told reporters.

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles