The Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Haiti, Sandra Honoré, has condemned the ongoing violence that followed the release of the preliminary results of the October 25 legislative and first round presidential elections last week.
At least one person was killed and several others wounded as opposition supporters staged violent protests in the capital last weekend against the preliminary results.
Police report that the protestors erected barricades, burning tyres as they took to the streets demanding a recall of the election results.
They said one man was shot during the protest over the weekend that also saw police using tear gas and fired gunshots to disperse the crowd.
The Trinidadian born Honore deplored the repeated use of violence during the demonstrations that has also resulted in damage to private property.
“Freedom of peaceful protest and freedom of expression are civil and political rights guaranteed by international conventions, enshrined in the Haitian Constitution and supported by law,” she said, reiterating that “efforts should be made by all actors of national life in order to avoid any recourse to violence, intimidation of all kinds, defamation or acts that can contribute to the infringement of individuals rights and private or public property, in exercise of the right to demonstrate and freedom of opinion.
Opposition politicians have been demanding the resignation of the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) accusing it of not ensuring that the polls on October 25 were free and fair.
According to the preliminary results released on November 5, the ruling party candidate Jovenel Moise will contest a run off on December 27 with the opposition candidate Jude Celestin to replace President Michel Martelly who is prevented by law from contesting a third consecutive presidential election.