Jolyan Silvera, a former Jamaican Member of Parliament, has maintained his innocence in his wife’s murder case after his initial court appearance this week.
The former St. Mary Western representative for the People’s National Party is charged with the murder of his wife Melissa, who was killed last year.
It was previously reported that Melissa died in her sleep on November 10, 2023, at the couple’s residence in Stony Hill, St. Andrew. But the police later upgraded their probe to a murder investigation after her post-mortem examination revealed she was shot at least three times.
Jolyan was officially charged on January 19.
He made his first court appearance on January 25, however, journalists, as well as Silvera’s daughter and her mother, were barred from the hearing.
The order to exclude the media and Silvera’s family was issued by presiding judge Justice Vinette Graham-Allen, who said, “One has to exercise discretion in each case.”
He will next appear in court on February 8.
Jolyan Silvera maintains his innocence
Silvera’s defence attorney King’s Counsel Peter Champagnie spoke to the media following the court appearance on Thursday.
He indicated that he intends to make a bail application for Silvera, but said that a particular document is needed by the defence to do so. The document is expected to be ready by the next court date.
Champagnie also pointed out that his client is maintaining his innocence.
“He has maintained his position of innocence from day one. I am not saying that he is, because I understand that there is a report to that effect. No lawyer should ever really say that because if you so are certain, then you would be a witness,” he said.
Think of the children, says lawyer
Amid public discourse and conspiracy theories, Champagnie also cautioned Jamaicans against making disparaging comments on the matter, for the sake of the Silvera children.
“You have many persons who have sought to try and convict already, and that’s unfortunate. I think it is important that, irrespective of your views, there are young children involved and it is a very, very difficult time for these three children,” Champagnie told journalists outside the court, adding that he was “not barring anyone from their constitutional right of freedom of expression.”
The couple had four children together. They first had twins Adam and Aden, followed by Justin, who drowned in the swimming pool at their St. Andrew in 2017 at the age of two. Two years later, the couple had their fourth son, Axel.
















