US announces sweeping new actions to manage migration

The United States government has announced sweeping new measures to further reduce unlawful migration from the Caribbean and other places.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

The US Department of State and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a statement that the measures would “significantly expand lawful pathways for protection, and facilitate the safe, orderly and humane processing of migrants.”

The statement noted that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) temporary Title 42 public health order will also come to an end on May 11 and “will return to using Title 8…to expeditiously process and remove individuals who arrive at the US border unlawfully.

“These decades-old authorities carry steep consequences for unlawful entry, including at least a five-year ban on re-entry and potential criminal prosecution for repeated attempts to enter unlawfully. The return to processing under Title 8 is expected to reduce the number of repeat border crossings over time, which increased significantly under Title 42,” the two US departments said.

They said individuals who cross into the United States at the southwest border without authorization or having used a lawful pathway, and without having scheduled a time to arrive at a port of entry, would be presumed ineligible for asylum under a new proposed regulation.

Venezuelans, Cubans, and Haitians are among many of the asylum seekers arriving in US cities such as New York, from the southern border.

Palooza 728x90

Since coming to office, President Biden has continually called on the US Congress to pass legislation to update and reform what has been described as an “outdated immigration system.”

The State Department and DHS said they are taking action with the tools and resources available under current law, but noted that Congress’ failure to pass and fund the president’s plan will increase the challenge at the southwest border.

The measures announced on Thursday include imposing stiffer consequences for failing to use lawful pathways to the US.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

To avoid these consequences, the departments urged individuals to use the many lawful pathways that they said the United States has expanded over the past two years.

The DHS said it is modernizing existing family reunification parole processes for Cuba and Haiti and that once finalized, will allow vetted individuals with already approved family-based petitions to be paroled into the United States on a case-by-case basis.

“The US government will deliver timely and efficient authorization for those approved and vetted to travel. Individuals paroled into the US under these processes would be eligible to apply for work authorization.”

Washington said it is committed to welcoming thousands of additional refugees monthly from the Western Hemisphere, including the Caribbean, and will continue to accept up to 30,000 individuals per month from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Cuba, and Haiti as part of the expanded parole processes announced earlier this year.

CMC/

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles