St Vincent’s police force on high alert for possible reprisals after mass killing

Amid rising tensions in St Vincent following the shocking murder of five people in Kingstown, the local police force has put off all vacation and unpaid leave for its officers until further notice.

- Advertisement -
Taste Of the Caribbean Islands-728x90

Reports are that a circular issued by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force said that the gazetted officers also decided to restructure the leave system for police officers and that divisional commanders were also ordered to inform ranks under their command.

Intelligence reports warn of potential reprisals

At a joint press conference, Police Commissioner Colin John, Acting Prime Minister Montgomery Daniel, and other Cabinet members addressed the alarming situation.

Commissioner John reported that the police force had received intelligence about potential reprisals, taking these threats – along with the recent shootings and fatalities – extremely seriously.

More on crime in St Vincent and the Grenadines

SVG to bolster security for Cuban health workers following second attack

Commissioner John links major crimes to small groups

The Commissioner revealed that police intelligence suggested a connection between some of the homicides occurring in St Vincent and the Grenadines, with fewer than 100 individuals responsible for the majority of major crimes. 

Palooza 728x90

According to John, these individuals represent a minuscule portion of the over 110,000 citizens, yet their actions have profound impacts. He traced the roots of these violent reprisals back to 2014, suggesting a botched drug transaction as the initial spark that has since escalated into a deadly feud.

St Vincent’s response to violence: Assurances of safety and proactive policing

Despite the ongoing violence, Commissioner John reassured citizens, insisting the country remains “generally safe”.

He affirmed that the police force had acted upon the intelligence received, and had even spoken to some of the victims prior to their tragic demise Wednesday night, which he credited to proactive policing.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Relaying details from the fateful night, John said police responded to reports of gunshots in the Harbour Club area, near the Grenadines Wharf.

Upon arrival, they discovered four individuals apparently deceased and a fifth critically injured, who was rushed to the hospital.

By the end of the tragic night, all five victims had been declared dead by a doctor.

John rebuffed criticisms over police response time to the incident, vowing increased police presence on the streets, which he cautioned may cause minor inconveniences to the public.

The bloodshed on Wednesday night has taken this year’s homicide count to an alarming 35, with seven of these murders happening within the past 36 hours.

“It is not a good statistic. And the police, we have gone back to the drawing board. We have looked at ways in which we can improve what we are doing,” said John.

 

The latest news from St Vincent & the Caribbean

Read more articles about St Vincent from Caribbean National Weekly

More Stories

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as...
Rick Fox

Rick Fox named to Bahamian Senate after election loss in Garden Hills

Former NBA player Rick Fox has been selected by the opposition Free National Movement (FNM) to serve in the Bahamian Senate following the country’s...
Cheddi Jagan International Airport Guyana

Guyana airport solar project expected to save US$800,000 annually

A new three-meawatt grid-tied solar photovoltaic plant slated for installation at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport is expected to save approximately US$800,000 annually in...
Central Bank of Barbados

Barbados regulators monitoring transactions linked to 1MDB scandal

Financial regulators in Barbados are monitoring suspicious financial transactions involving millions of dollars allegedly linked to funds misappropriated from Malaysia’s state-owned 1Malaysia Development Berhad...
bermuda government house

Bermuda moves toward sweeping electoral reform this September

The Government of Bermuda has confirmed a major step forward in its electoral reform agenda, announcing that an Electoral Reform Working Group is now...
Hantavirus

Westmoreland health officials step up surveillance amid regional hantavirus concerns

Health authorities in Westmoreland have intensified surveillance measures in response to regional concerns about hantavirus, even though no confirmed cases have been detected in...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua and Barbuda moves to make Spanish official second language

Antigua and Barbuda is set to make Spanish its official second language under a new government policy aimed at expanding multilingual education and strengthening...
Four Jamaicans arrested in Alabama for alleged involvement in lottery scam

Bahamas deport 107 Haitians in latest immigration enforcement operation

The Bahamas Department of Immigration says it has deported 107 Haitian nationals as part of ongoing enforcement operations aimed at ensuring compliance with immigration...

Latest Articles