Jolyan Silvera maintains innocence after first court appearance for murder charge

Jolyan Silvera, a former Jamaican Member of Parliament, has maintained his innocence in his wife’s murder case after his initial court appearance this week.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

The former St. Mary Western representative for the People’s National Party is charged with the murder of his wife Melissa, who was killed last year.

It was previously reported that Melissa died in her sleep on November 10, 2023, at the couple’s residence in Stony Hill, St. Andrew. But the police later upgraded their probe to a murder investigation after her post-mortem examination revealed she was shot at least three times.

Jolyan was officially charged on January 19.

He made his first court appearance on January 25, however, journalists, as well as Silvera’s daughter and her mother, were barred from the hearing.

The order to exclude the media and Silvera’s family was issued by presiding judge Justice Vinette Graham-Allen, who said, “One has to exercise discretion in each case.”

Palooza 728x90

He will next appear in court on February 8.

Jolyan Silvera maintains his innocence

Silvera’s defence attorney King’s Counsel Peter Champagnie spoke to the media following the court appearance on Thursday.

He indicated that he intends to make a bail application for Silvera, but said that a particular document is needed by the defence to do so. The document is expected to be ready by the next court date.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Champagnie also pointed out that his client is maintaining his innocence.

“He has maintained his position of innocence from day one. I am not saying that he is, because I understand that there is a report to that effect. No lawyer should ever really say that because if you so are certain, then you would be a witness,” he said.

Think of the children, says lawyer

Amid public discourse and conspiracy theories, Champagnie also cautioned Jamaicans against making disparaging comments on the matter, for the sake of the Silvera children.

“You have many persons who have sought to try and convict already, and that’s unfortunate. I think it is important that, irrespective of your views, there are young children involved and it is a very, very difficult time for these three children,” Champagnie told journalists outside the court, adding that he was “not barring anyone from their constitutional right of freedom of expression.”

The couple had four children together. They first had twins Adam and Aden, followed by Justin, who drowned in the swimming pool at their St. Andrew in 2017 at the age of two. Two years later, the couple had their fourth son, Axel.

Read more:

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...
48th CARICOM Heads Conference to Tackle Current Geopolitical Challenges

CARICOM urges protection of Strait of Hormuz transit passage amid Middle East tensions

CARICOM has expressed growing concern over escalating hostilities in the Middle East, warning that military activity affecting the Strait of Hormuz could have serious...

Jamaican computer science student earns prestigious AI internship in Japan

A final-year Computer Science student at University of Technology, Jamaica is being recognized internationally after securing a coveted spot in a competitive artificial intelligence...

GraceKennedy Foundation annual lecture to spotlight Kingston Harbour cleanup progress

The GraceKennedy Foundation will focus on the ongoing restoration of Kingston Harbour during its 36th Annual Public Lecture, set for June 5 in observance...
Edmund-Bartlett-Jamaica-Tourism-Restart-Recovery-Task-Force

Jamaica unveils new airline routes, $5 billion tourism investment push amid strong visitor growth

Jamaica’s tourism sector is poised for major expansion with new airline routes, billions in hotel investments, and a regional aviation summit on the horizon,...

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as...
Haiti's new PM Alix Didier Fils-Aimé names 18-member Cabinet

Haiti launches nationwide electoral security training program ahead of planned elections

Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé has launched a nationwide training program aimed at strengthening electoral security and improving conditions for credible elections across Haiti,...

Latest Articles