Suriname’s indigenous people are preparing a lawsuit against the government to enforce the judgments of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR).
The Association of Indigenous Village Heads in Suriname (VIDS) claims also that Chandrikapersad Santokhi government has sought to hoodwink them and that agreements made last week during a meeting with a government delegation have not been fulfilled.
Although the Amerindian tribes are in favor of dialogue, they said they are no longer waiting on the government of this Dutch-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.
They have already informed the embassies in Suriname and international organizations of the treatment they receive from the government and that the lawsuit is being prepared to force the government to implement international judgments so that the land rights of indigenous people are recognized by law.
Further details of whether the lawsuit will be brought before a local court or an international tribunal, with the village chiefs declining to give details during the news conference.
But the indigenous people are demanding that the original draft law ‘Collective Rights of Indigenous and Tribal Peoples’ submitted to Parliament be considered and approved. They said the proposal that is now on the agenda has been amended and supplemented in such a way that it places indigenous people at a disadvantage.
Police have been maintaining a heavy presence in the Pikin Saron and Bigi Poika villages since the riots on May 2 and the villagers say they feel unsafe and are subjected to strict road checks involving vehicle searches and house searches without the blessing s of the village chiefs.
They said drones are also used during the operations and that shotguns, which are used for hunting, are being confiscated.
The residents also complain that they are restricted in their freedom of movement because state-owned companies that have concessions and Dutch soldiers are undergoing training here.
The village chief of Pierre Kondre, Lloyd Read, said greed has caused the death of the two villagers who were shot by police and warn that if current developments continue, Suriname will become one of the countries where the indigenous population is being massacred because of the natural resources on their lands.
“What the hell do you expect from people being held hostage?” said the Village Chief. “We won’t sit still and see how they’re going to exterminate us. The lands are there, we have always been there. If they want the lands, let them exterminate us. Then the lands are available. Go and get it. Over our dead bodies!” said Read.
Meanwhile, Parliament has started debate on the draft law ‘Collective Rights of indigenous peoples and tribal peoples, with several legislators noting inadequacies, inconsistent provisions and contradictions.
The meeting will continue next Tuesday.
CMC/
















