Antigua, Dominica governments respond after new US visa restrictions announced

Antigua and Barbuda and Dominica have begun diplomatic engagements with the United States after President Donald Trump announced new visa restrictions affecting nationals of the two Caribbean countries, as well as Haiti and Cuba.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

A new U.S. proclamation issued Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2025, places Antigua and Barbuda and Dominica under partial entry restrictions. Under the order, the entry of nationals from both countries as immigrants, and as nonimmigrants on B-1, B-2, B-1/B-2, F, M, and J visas, is suspended. In both cases, the proclamation points to concerns related to citizenship-by-investment (CBI) programs that do not require residency.

Antigua’s response

The Antigua and Barbuda government said Tuesday that it is “actively engaged” with U.S. authorities to seek clarity and reversal of the measures, which would either fully restrict or limit entry into the United States for affected nationals.

Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States, Sir Ronald Sanders, said he has initiated discussions with the U.S. State Department to understand the scope of the restrictions, including the status of visas issued before December 31, 2025.

“Our general objective is to engage fully with the U.S. Government to discuss the concern expressed about the basis for the visa restrictions, namely that ‘Antigua and Barbuda has historically had Citizenship by Investment without residency,’” Sanders said in a statement. “Our efforts are directed at reaching understandings with the U.S. Government that would allow the restoration of visas to Antigua and Barbuda nationals.”

He said further information will be provided as discussions continue.

Prime Minister Gaston Browne earlier said his administration had taken “careful note” of the U.S. proclamation and expressed disappointment that Antigua and Barbuda was included based on what he called an inaccurate characterisation of its Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Programme.

“That assertion does not reflect the present reality of our laws,” Browne said, noting that Antigua and Barbuda has worked “closely and constructively” with several U.S. government departments over the past year to strengthen safeguards within the programme.

“It is therefore an error to state that Antigua and Barbuda’s Citizenship by Investment Programme operates without a residency requirement,” Browne said.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

The prime minister added that Sanders had been informed by State Department officials that they were surprised by the proclamation and had received no prior notice of its issuance. Browne said he will also write directly to President Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, offering full cooperation to address any concerns and restore all visa categories.

Antigua and Barbuda, he said, values its long-standing relationship with the United States, its largest trading partner, and remains committed to maintaining strong bilateral ties based on “mutual respect, cooperation, and accurate understanding.”

Dominica’s response

Meanwhile, the Government of Dominica acknowledged the U.S. decision in a statement issued Tuesday, confirming that partial travel restrictions affecting Dominican nationals are scheduled to take effect on January 1, 2026.

In a press release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Business, Trade and Energy, the Dominican government said it understands the concern the announcement may cause and assured citizens that the matter is being treated with urgency.

The government said it is engaging officials at the U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados, to obtain clarification on the scope of the measures, the basis for the decision, and the implications for Dominican travellers, students, families and other legitimate U.S. visa holders. Officials said further updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission

Antigua election commission rejects fraud claims, warns of possible legal action

The Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) has strongly rejected allegations questioning the legitimacy of Antigua and Barbuda’s April 30 general election and warned...
Trinidad Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Trinidad and Tobago refuses to recognize CARICOM secretary general beyond August

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says Trinidad and Tobago will not recognize Dr. Carla Barnett as Secretary General of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after her...
Andrew Holness and Mark Golding

Jamaica ranked Caribbean’s top country for electoral democracy in UNDP report

Jamaica has retained its position as the leading country in the Caribbean for electoral democracy, according to the 2025 Electoral Democracy Index featured in...

Belize highlights CARICOM opportunities for youth during panel discussion

Belizean students and young professionals gathered in Belmopan on Tuesday for a panel discussion focused on the opportunities available through Caribbean regional integration as...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica audit finds only 1.8% of Hurricane Melissa donations spent months after storm

Jamaica’s disaster response system is under scrutiny after an audit revealed that only a small portion of the billions donated for Hurricane Melissa recovery...

Davis, PLP reelected in Bahamas landslide election victory

Bahamian Prime Minister Philip Davis and his governing Progressive Liberal Party secured a decisive reelection on Tuesday, positioning Davis to become the first Bahamian...
plane

10 rescued after Bahamas-origin plane crashes off Florida coast

A U.S. Coast Guard rescue operation on Tuesday successfully recovered all 10 people aboard a small aircraft that crashed off the Florida coast shortly...
UN Security Council urged to speed up action on Haiti

Haiti sees alarming rise in gender-based violence, UN says

A sharp rise in gender-based violence in Haiti during the first three months of 2026 is raising alarm among United Nations humanitarian agencies, which...

Bermuda earns Positive outlook from KBRA amid economic gains

The Government of Bermuda has welcomed a new ratings decision from Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA), which affirmed the island’s long-term issuer ratings at...
Haiti MSF

MSF evacuates Haiti hospital after intense gang fighting erupts in Port-au-Prince

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) says it has evacuated and suspended operations at its hospital in the Cité Soleil neighborhood of Port-au-Prince after intense fighting...

Latest Articles