Barbados Government to Establish Vaccine Safe Zones

The Barbados government has announced plans for the establishment of safe zones as the island continues to be impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that has claimed 98 lives and infected 11,132 others since March last year.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

Prime Minister Mia Mottley in a radio and television broadcast on Monday night, said that her administration had decided against further lockdowns and that it was now necessary to protect those who are taking the vaccine.

“The reality is that we are satisfied that we need now at this stage to start the process of the creation of safe zones. And what do we mean by safe zones? That we need to be able to have places where persons are either vaccinated or recently tested,” she said.

“The Ministry of Health will therefore feed us with a series of bitesize chunks; and why?  Because we have limited capacity as a small state. I would love to tell you we can do the guidance notes for every area and every sector [at] one time. But if we want to do what we are doing well, while at the same time managing the home isolation and the home quarantine programme, then we are going to do it in ways that are manageable and sustainable.”

Mottley said that the creation of these safe zones will first target care workers in the first instance, followed by frontline workers, along with those in the tourism and education sectors.

The Barbados government is hoping that over a period of time, people employed in the restaurant and entertainment sectors, as well as worshippers, will be included in the creation of safe zones.

Palooza 728x90

Mottley said that an estimated 142, 543 Barbadians have already been vaccinated against COVID-19 and that while the government was maintaining its position against mandatory vaccinations, government still had a duty to create a “safe place and a safe zone” for those who were vaccinated and did not wish to be infected by the virus.

She said that officials were satisfied that they needed to start the process of creating safe zones where persons were either vaccinated or frequently tested.

“At the end of the day, what matters is that you are safe and not in a position to put each other at risk,” Mottley said, adding that such a process would result in unvaccinated people being tested weekly at government’s expense, while vaccinated persons would be tested, but less frequently.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

“The truth is that persons who are vaccinated will have a less frequent regime…. Persons who are vaccinated are less likely to catch it [COVID-19], and if they catch it, they are less likely to be contagious because it is not going to stay with them…,” Mottley said.

She said the process of establishing safe zones would be led by the Ministry of Health and Wellness and done “in a series of bite sized chunks” as it continued to manage the overall situation in the country.

Mottley said that in the first instance, the Barbados government would be seeking to protect the most vulnerable in society such as the elderly, those in nursing homes, the Geriatric Hospital, hospitals and those dependent on caregivers.

She said the guidance notes which would be issued by the Ministry of Health and Wellness later this week would insist on testing for persons based on risk.

“The Ministry of Health [and Wellness] has indicated that those are the high risk areas, and… it is anticipated that unvaccinated persons…in these high risk areas will have to be tested at least once a week, in order to ensure that we are taking care of those we have to take care of.”

Prime Minister Mottley has also urged citizens of Barbados to continue the discussions and dialogue surrounding the vaccine hesitancy, particularly as there were still people who were nervous about receiving the jab.

CMC

More Stories

Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua PM calls for fully funded climate loss and damage mechanism for Caribbean nations

Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says Loss and Damage Fund must be properly capitalized to help Caribbean nations recover from increasingly severe...
Saint Lucia coroner

Saint Lucia appoints first coroner following creation of dedicated Coroners Court

The government of Saint Lucia has appointed the country’s first official coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of...
48th CARICOM Heads Conference to Tackle Current Geopolitical Challenges

CARICOM urges protection of Strait of Hormuz transit passage amid Middle East tensions

CARICOM has expressed growing concern over escalating hostilities in the Middle East, warning that military activity affecting the Strait of Hormuz could have serious...

Jamaican computer science student earns prestigious AI internship in Japan

A final-year Computer Science student at University of Technology, Jamaica is being recognized internationally after securing a coveted spot in a competitive artificial intelligence...

GraceKennedy Foundation annual lecture to spotlight Kingston Harbour cleanup progress

The GraceKennedy Foundation will focus on the ongoing restoration of Kingston Harbour during its 36th Annual Public Lecture, set for June 5 in observance...
Edmund-Bartlett-Jamaica-Tourism-Restart-Recovery-Task-Force

Jamaica unveils new airline routes, $5 billion tourism investment push amid strong visitor growth

Jamaica’s tourism sector is poised for major expansion with new airline routes, billions in hotel investments, and a regional aviation summit on the horizon,...

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as...
Haiti's new PM Alix Didier Fils-Aimé names 18-member Cabinet

Haiti launches nationwide electoral security training program ahead of planned elections

Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé has launched a nationwide training program aimed at strengthening electoral security and improving conditions for credible elections across Haiti,...

Latest Articles