Suriname: Native Amerindians hold protest demonstration

Members of Suriname’s indigenous community on Saturday protested against what they have called their marginalization, deprivation, and non-respect and recognition of their collective rights by the government and other parts of society.

- Advertisement -
Taste Of the Caribbean Islands-728x90

During a silent walk here, several hundred indigenous people from all tribes and from the deep hinterlands and far south took part in the protest.

The immediate reason for the demonstration is the killing by the police of two indigenous men about two weeks ago after a group of indigenous men set fire to a number of logging trucks and a police station in the Pikin Saron area, southwest of the capital.

According to Sharmaine Artist, a spokeswoman from the group, Native Power, the silent march is the start of a number of actions that will be used in the coming weeks.

She said the organization now plans to write a number of international human rights organizations, including the Organization of American States, about the poor treatment indigenous people receive from the Surinamese government.

“We are also travelling to the different villages to speak to the people and explain to them what we intend to do,” Artist further explained. Hundreds of indigenous people took to the streets on Saturday to protest in a “silent way” against the lack of recognition of land rights. Indigenous groups have fought for years for this, but successive governments have so far failed to heed their call to solve this issue. “It was nice to see all the Indigenous groups. We proved that we are one. It was nice that people from the different villages, also from the far south, mobilized themselves to come here. We walked in unity and the Almighty for help,” said Artist

Palooza 728x90

Following the death of two indigenous men earlier this month,  Native Power in particular has decided to take more visible action.

Another organization – the Association of Indigenous Village Chiefs (Vids) also says it is now monitoring matters even more closely.

Meanwhile – last Thursday, the speaker of the house, Marinus Bee said that the government will look at a number of the concessions in the indigenous areas issued by the then Bouterse administration. These were subsequently extended by the Santokhi government. However, due to the lack of legal recognition of land rights, there is an unclear situation, resulting in many illegal economic activities, including gold mining.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

The House speaker promised that he would look into whether there is political support for the bill and also coordinate with the government on how to proceed. The draft law has been put back on the agenda for next Tuesday’s parliament meeting.

CMC/

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles