Man in Bermuda who sexually abused young sisters imprisoned for 35 years

A 43-year-old man in Bermuda has been sent to  prison for 35 years by a Supreme Court judge after being convicted of committing a series of sex acts on two young sisters.

- Advertisement -

Locksley Cummings, who showed no emotion during Monday’s 25-minute sentencing, will spend at least 17½ years behind bars before he is eligible for parole.

Cummings had been found guilty by a jury of five counts of sexual exploitation after a trial in February.

He had denied the charges.

The offences on the first victim took place between 2007 and 2009 when she was eight or nine years old.

The court heard how Cummings touched her sexually on one occasion and had intercourse with her on the second occasion.

Palooza 728x90

Seven years later, Cummings began preying on the younger sister of the first victim, who was also a young girl at the time, the court heard.

Between 2016 and 2021, Cummings had intercourse multiple times with his second victim, who was aged nine when the attacks started.

He also made his victim perform a sex act on him on one occasion.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

The majority of the incidents occurred at Cummings’ home.

Puisne Judge Shade Subair Williams sentenced Cummings to 17 years for two counts against the first victim and 18 years for three counts against the second victim.

She said that because the incidents had taken place over two separate periods of time the sentences should run consecutively rather than concurrently.

The judge said Cummings’ crimes were one of the worst non-death cases she had ever seen in Bermuda and that he had put his victims through “a nightmare”.

Addressing Cummings, she said “you violated that little girl like only a monster could.

“To think that any person could be so vile and cruel. May you one day step away from your cowardly denial of these heinous crimes and address your demons. You will have to ask yourself the question, ‘Can I ever forgive myself?’”

CMC/

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles