Bahamas’ Opposition party officials banned from making public statements about each other

A High Court judge has ordered the hierarchy of Bahamas’ main opposition Free National Movement (FNM) from making public statements about each other until she gives her ruling in a lawsuit involving the party’s vice-chairman.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

The matter has been adjourned to April 14 this year.

“All parties shall refrain from any personal attacks on each other and any other member of the Free National Movement (FNM) in the press, on any social media platform, or otherwise pending the determination of this Action or further Order of the Court,” Justice Deborah Fraser said in the order.

It said the parties shall comply with the constitution of the FNM while attending any meetings or functions of the FNM.

“Save for the making or publication of any factual statements to disclose the Orders of the Court from time to time, without the addition of any personal commentary or opinion thereon or in relation thereto, the parties shall refrain from discussing these proceedings in the press, on any social media platform, or otherwise publicly pending further or final Order of the Court,” the judge said in the order.

FNM vice-chairman, Richard Johnson is seeking US$500,000 in damages after FNM executives unanimously barred him from council meetings. In his lawsuit, he is arguing that neither the party’s leader Michael Pintard nor its chairman, Dr. Duane Sands had the authority to suspend his membership rights and reassign his vice-chair duties.

Palooza 728x90

Johnson is seeking US$250,000 for “loss and unlawful interference” of his membership and US$250,000 for “mental distress concerning the matter,” and interest on the damages.

The order by the judge came after Pintard and Dr. Sands applied to lift the injunction she set on March 8, which prevented them from barring Johnson from council meetings.

The judge had ordered that, pending the determination of Johnson’s lawsuit, he be allowed to attend meetings and carry out his duties.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

In the lawsuit, Johnson said that no charge had been laid against him “before the purported general suspension was imposed “  nor was he “afforded any opportunity to be heard and to respond to any allegations against him which gave rise to the purported general suspension.

“In the alternative, the purported general suspension of the plaintiff was imposed by the second defendant without any meeting of the executive committee having been called to consider and authorize the issuance of the charge – together with the particulars of the allegation upon which the charge is based.

“In any event, (Dr. Sands) had no authority to relieve the plaintiff of ‘any duties previously assigned to [him] as vice chairman’ nor to deprive the plaintiff of his ‘responsibility for any of the constituency associations’ as such duties of the plaintiff were assigned to him by the executive committee and, therefore, could only have been revoked by the executive committee.”

CMC/

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles