Bahamas Government welcomes court ruling on shanty towns

The Bahamas government has welcomed the ruling of the Supreme Court lifting a previous injunction when shanty town residents failed to prove the demolition of properties and evictions of residents would be unlawful.

- Advertisement -

“What it means is it now allows us to employ the process to correct those issues within the shanty town. There’s a process for removal of any erection of buildings we intend to engage in those and then deal with those issues that impact us in respect to that issue,” Prime Minister Phillip Davis said.

Last Friday, Justice Cheryl Grant-­Thompson ruled on the “matter of national importance” at the conclusion of a legal battle dating back to 2018, when 177 shanty town residents represented by Fred Smith, KC, sought to stop the government intervention and demolition.

Prime Minister Davis said the ruling means the case is now through on that level, even as he acknowledged he doesn’t know if there will be an appeal.

“I know the other side can appeal. We hope that doesn’t happen and we just sit down and work out these issues.”

In June 2021, the government was banned from further demolishing shanty town structures across Abaco after a Supreme Court judge rejected its bid to have the island’s shanty towns removed.

Palooza 728x90

The shanty towns have sprung up mainly to accommodate the influx of illegal migration from Haiti and Cuba with Prime Minister Davis saying his administration is doing the best it can to deal with the matter.

“First of all, we do have a plan moving forward. The issue of migration, Haitian migration, is nothing new. It ebbs and flows from pre-emancipation and the challenges with the migration has always been topical. Right, it ebbs and flows.

“Governments are engaged as best they can in dealing with it. We are dealing with as best we can. We are sending people back home by the thousands and we are intercepting attempts to get into our country and turning them back home. That’s what we need to look at,” Davis said.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

He said last year, the authorities deported 3,500 Haitians and so far this year, have intercepted several persons who have been returned to Haiti.

“Right now, I think we have less than 100 in our detention center. So we are returning them home as quickly as we can,” he said.

CMC

More Stories

marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...
CARICOM Caribbean general elections

CARICOM Election Observation Mission says Bahamas 2026 polls peaceful, orderly

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Election Observation Mission (CEOM) has reported that The Bahamas’ 2026 general election was conducted in a peaceful and orderly manner,...
Club Kingston

Club Kingston named Priority Pass Lounge of the Year for Latin America and Caribbean

The Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) has lauded Club Kingston after it was named Priority Pass Lounge of the Year – Regional Winner for Latin...
Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission

Antigua election commission rejects fraud claims, warns of possible legal action

The Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) has strongly rejected allegations questioning the legitimacy of Antigua and Barbuda’s April 30 general election and warned...
Trinidad Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Trinidad and Tobago refuses to recognize CARICOM secretary general beyond August

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says Trinidad and Tobago will not recognize Dr. Carla Barnett as Secretary General of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after her...
Andrew Holness and Mark Golding

Jamaica ranked Caribbean’s top country for electoral democracy in UNDP report

Jamaica has retained its position as the leading country in the Caribbean for electoral democracy, according to the 2025 Electoral Democracy Index featured in...

Belize highlights CARICOM opportunities for youth during panel discussion

Belizean students and young professionals gathered in Belmopan on Tuesday for a panel discussion focused on the opportunities available through Caribbean regional integration as...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica audit finds only 1.8% of Hurricane Melissa donations spent months after storm

Jamaica’s disaster response system is under scrutiny after an audit revealed that only a small portion of the billions donated for Hurricane Melissa recovery...

Latest Articles