Man fined for leaking nude photos of ex-girlfriend in first cybercrime sentencing in St. Vincent

A 23-year-old laborer has become the first person in St. Vincent and the Grenadines to be successfully prosecuted under the country’s cybercrime law which was passed amidst controversy in 2016.

- Advertisement -
Journey to Kingston-728x90

On Tuesday, at the Calliaqua Magistrate’s Court, Kervin Hunt was fined for leaking nude photos of his ex-girlfriend, an 18-year-old nursing student, to a WhatsApp group of her classmates.

He pleaded guilty to a charge of violation of privacy, namely that he intentionally and without lawful excuse, transmitted through a computer system, the image, and videos of the private areas of the 18-year-old student without her consent, contrary to the Cybercrime Act.

The facts of the case are that Hunt and the nursing student were in a relationship which ended in January. The complainant went to Hunt’s residence to collect her clothes and he took her phone, an iPhone 11, from her and kept it for two weeks.

During that time, Hunt forwarded nude photos of the complainant from the device to the complainant’s class chat.

For that offence, the magistrate, Zoila Ellis-Browne ordered Hunt to pay a fine of EC$1,000 (One EC dollar = US$0.37) in one month or spend three months in prison.

Palooza 728x90

Hunt was also charged with damaging one iPhone 11, valued at US$499.99 and one HP laptop, valued at US$299.99.

He was ordered to compensate the complainant in the sum of EC$500 by February 15 or spend three months in prison. If he fails to pay the sums, the sentences will run concurrently.

Hunt faced a maximum penalty of EC$100,000 or to imprisonment for two years or both.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

If the matter had been heard before the High Court, he could have faced a fine of EC$250,000 or imprisonment for five years or both.

In February 2018, Catisha Pierre-Jack, of Lower Questelles, became the first person to be charged under the Cybercrime Act when prosecutors brought a charge of libel by electronic communication against her.

She pleaded guilty but later changed her plea to not guilty after securing legal counsel.

Then, in September 2018, the prosecution withdrew the matter after defense counsel Kay Bacchus-Baptiste told the court that the complainant, Pierre-Jack’s sister, Crystal Pierre had “recused herself from the matter” and had written a letter to the court saying she had no intention of proceeding with the matter.

CMC/

 

More Stories

marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...
CARICOM Caribbean general elections

CARICOM Election Observation Mission says Bahamas 2026 polls peaceful, orderly

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Election Observation Mission (CEOM) has reported that The Bahamas’ 2026 general election was conducted in a peaceful and orderly manner,...
Club Kingston

Club Kingston named Priority Pass Lounge of the Year for Latin America and Caribbean

The Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) has lauded Club Kingston after it was named Priority Pass Lounge of the Year – Regional Winner for Latin...
Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission

Antigua election commission rejects fraud claims, warns of possible legal action

The Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) has strongly rejected allegations questioning the legitimacy of Antigua and Barbuda’s April 30 general election and warned...
Trinidad Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Trinidad and Tobago refuses to recognize CARICOM secretary general beyond August

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says Trinidad and Tobago will not recognize Dr. Carla Barnett as Secretary General of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after her...
Andrew Holness and Mark Golding

Jamaica ranked Caribbean’s top country for electoral democracy in UNDP report

Jamaica has retained its position as the leading country in the Caribbean for electoral democracy, according to the 2025 Electoral Democracy Index featured in...

Belize highlights CARICOM opportunities for youth during panel discussion

Belizean students and young professionals gathered in Belmopan on Tuesday for a panel discussion focused on the opportunities available through Caribbean regional integration as...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica audit finds only 1.8% of Hurricane Melissa donations spent months after storm

Jamaica’s disaster response system is under scrutiny after an audit revealed that only a small portion of the billions donated for Hurricane Melissa recovery...

Latest Articles