Guyana Implements Visa Requirements for Haitians

- Advertisement -
Taste Of the Caribbean Islands-728x90

Guyana has officially withdrawn the automatic six-month stay granted to Haitians on arrival in the country, revoking an earlier order that allowed nationals from Haiti to enter the country without a visa.

President Irfaan Ali revoked in its entirety, the January 2019 order by former president David Granger under which Haiti had been added to the list under the Immigration Act.

Haiti, despite being a full member of CARICOM, has not always enjoyed free movement into member countries under the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME) that allows for the free movement of goods, skills, labour and services across the majority of the 15- member grouping.

The new Order is dated June 22, 2021, and in a letter dated June 23, to Minister of Aviation, Juan Edghill, Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs, Anil Nandlall said only Haitian diplomats would not require visas to enter Guyana.

“The effect of this revocation is that Schedule Ito the Immigration Act is amended, by the deletion of ‘Haiti’ from the list of countries whose nationals are entitled to an automatic six months stay in Guyana. Accordingly, nationals of Haiti are no longer entitled to automatic permission to enter and remain in Guyana for six months. Additionally, nationals of Haiti, except Haitian diplomats, will require a visa to enter Guyana,” Nandlall wrote.

Palooza 728x90

He called on Edghill to advise the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority, all airlines and the chief executive officers of the Cheddi Jagan International Airport and Eugene F. Correia International Airport of the new change for Haitian nationals.

The Ministers of Home Affairs and Foreign Affairs as well as the Police Commissioner who is the Chief Immigration Officer have been copied in on the letter.

Last weekend, the authorities announced that an investigation had been launched after 10 Haitian children were found in a hotel room in the Berbice region.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

According to a government statement, the children, five boys and five girls, did not have in their possession passports or any other form of identification.

When questioned by police, one of the children said they were transported to Guyana from neighbouring Suriname by speed boat and were dropped off at the hotel on, June 14.

Nandlall, has confirmed that there have been several instances where Haitians, Nigerians and Cubans have been detained after they were found to have entered the country, illegally, said “we have to tackle this issue once and for all,”

He said on a program, streamed live on his Facebook page on Tuesday night that Guyana would not be doing anything that other Caribbean countries have not done.

But the Opposition has accused the government of going against the principles of CARICOM by putting the visa requirement back in place.

Opposition Spokesperson on Foreign Relations, Amanza Walton-Disir said there must be a better plan to address concerns about people smuggling.

CMC

 

More Stories

Barbados embassy Ireland

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland, deepening diplomatic ties

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural relations between the two...
British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce

Gov. Daniel Pruce signals openness to extended tenure in British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands Governor Daniel Pruce has said he would welcome the opportunity to remain in office beyond his current term, even as he...
Jamaica hurricane melissa

Caribbean countries move closer to accessing US$250M climate loss and damage fund

Caribbean countries are now better positioned to access millions of dollars in climate grant financing aimed at strengthening resilience and addressing losses and damages...

Guyana, Dominican Republic advance talks on oil, gas and energy cooperation

President of Guyana Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali met with President of the Dominican Republic Luis Abinader Corona and a high-level delegation in Georgetown on...
Prime Minister Philip Davis

US congratulates Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis on reelection

The United States Department of State has congratulated Philip Davis on his reelection victory, pledging continued collaboration between the two countries on economic development...

Jamaica to roll out $50 million pilot program to combat period poverty in schools

The Government of Jamaica is set to launch a multi-sectoral National Menstrual Health Equity pilot initiative involving eight schools and approximately 2,000 girls as...

Cayman Islands to equip frontline police officers with body cameras by July

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service says all frontline officers will be equipped with body-worn cameras by the end of July as part of...
marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...

Latest Articles