Twenty-five Killed in Haitian Prison Break

A mass prison outbreak in Haiti’s Croix-des-Bouquets jail on February 27, resulted in the death of 25 people including a notorious gang leader, Arnel Joseph, and a prison director being killed.

- Advertisement -
CoM Job Fair-728x90

More than 200 inmates escaped in the prison break, and as the inmates fled from the jail several bystanders were caught up in the resulting violence and some were killed.

Joseph was Haiti’s most-wanted criminal prior to his arrest in 2019 on charges including rape, murder and kidnapping. According to some reports, there’s a belief the jailbreak was an attempt to free Joseph. 

 After escaping in the prison outbreak, Joseph fled as a passenger on a waiting motorcycle which was later apprehended at a checkpoint. According to police report, at the checkpoint, Joseph attempted to shoot at the police stationed there who in turn fatally shot him.

Witnesses to the prison break reported hearing bursts of gunfire at around midday on Thursday before inmates were seen fleeing from the prison.  

Employers at a clothing store nearby the jail said they were accosted by escaping prisoners and forced to give them clothing and other items.

Palooza 728x90

The jail built by the Canadian government and opened in 2012, and located near Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince had a maximum capacity of 872 inmates. However, at the time of the breakout on Thursday, it held over 1,500 prisoners.

Frantz Exantus, Haiti’s communications secretary, told a news conference on February 27.  “Twenty-five people died including six prisoners and Divisional Inspector Paul Hector Joseph who was in charge of the prison. Among those killed were some ordinary citizens who were killed by the prisoners during their escape.”

Exantus said authorities have created several commissions and the ongoing investigation will look into who organised the breakout and why. He added in a Tweet on Friday that 60 inmates had so far been captured.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

Helen La Lime, Haiti’s special representative of the secretary-general of the United Nations, said in a statement: “This prison break further highlights the problem of prolonged preventive detention and prison overcrowding, which remains a matter of concern that must be urgently addressed by Haitian authorities.”

More Stories

Falmouth students receive school supplies months after Hurricane Melissa from Disney Cruise Line–Good360

Students at Falmouth Primary School in Trelawny have received new school supplies and children’s books as part of a disaster recovery initiative led by...
guyana President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Guyana rolls out real-time payments and opens banking sector to new international players

Guyana is preparing for a major overhaul of its financial system with the launch of a real-time payment platform and the entry of new...

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as...
Haiti's new PM Alix Didier Fils-Aimé names 18-member Cabinet

Haiti launches nationwide electoral security training program ahead of planned elections

Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé has launched a nationwide training program aimed at strengthening electoral security and improving conditions for credible elections across Haiti,...
Rick Fox

Rick Fox named to Bahamian Senate after election loss in Garden Hills

Former NBA player Rick Fox has been selected by the opposition Free National Movement (FNM) to serve in the Bahamian Senate following the country’s...
Cheddi Jagan International Airport Guyana

Guyana airport solar project expected to save US$800,000 annually

A new three-meawatt grid-tied solar photovoltaic plant slated for installation at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport is expected to save approximately US$800,000 annually in...
Central Bank of Barbados

Barbados regulators monitoring transactions linked to 1MDB scandal

Financial regulators in Barbados are monitoring suspicious financial transactions involving millions of dollars allegedly linked to funds misappropriated from Malaysia’s state-owned 1Malaysia Development Berhad...
bermuda government house

Bermuda moves toward sweeping electoral reform this September

The Government of Bermuda has confirmed a major step forward in its electoral reform agenda, announcing that an Electoral Reform Working Group is now...
Hantavirus

Westmoreland health officials step up surveillance amid regional hantavirus concerns

Health authorities in Westmoreland have intensified surveillance measures in response to regional concerns about hantavirus, even though no confirmed cases have been detected in...
Antigua and Barbuda to host investment conference in March 2025

Antigua and Barbuda moves to make Spanish official second language

Antigua and Barbuda is set to make Spanish its official second language under a new government policy aimed at expanding multilingual education and strengthening...

Latest Articles