OAS Rejects Latest Report from Guyana’s Chief Election Officer

WASHINGTON – The Organization of American States (OAS) has rejected the latest report from Guyana’s Chief Elections Officer, which indicated a victory for the ruling coalition, A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) in the disputed March 2 regional and general election.

- Advertisement -

The Washington-based hemispheric body on Saturday noted that “the Chief Elections Officer of Guyana, in direct opposition to the instructions of the Chair of the Guyana Elections Commission, has submitted a final report which includes data compiled prior to the national recount; data which had already been deemed to be questionable.

“There can be no justification for this action,” it said. “As intimated in our statement of July 10, this confirms that the Chief Elections Officer is acting in bad faith and contrary to the interest of democracy in Guyana.

“Let us be very clear: the only democratic solution for Guyana at this time is respect for the results of the national recount,” the OAS added. “No other figures – neither those prepared prior to the recount, nor those recently invalidated by the Caribbean Court of Justice, nor any others that may be unilaterally devised by the Chief Elections Officer – can have any place in the final determination of results.

“A new electoral process is also an unacceptable solution,” the OAS continued, pointing to Article 1 of the Inter-American Democratic Charter that states that “The peoples of the Americas have a right to democracy and their governments have an obligation to promote and defend it.”

“It is past time that the current leaders of Guyana comply with their democratic responsibilities and allow the newly elected government to take its place,” the OAS said. “In the coming days, the OAS General Secretariat will report to the OAS Permanent Council on these and other recent developments in Guyana.”

Palooza 728x90

On Friday, the OAS reiterated its call on the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) to move forward in concluding Guyana’s electoral process, “based on the results of the national recount, and in accordance with the will of the majority of the electorate.”

The OAS noted in a statement that the decision of the Caribbean Court of Justice on July 8, 2020 confirmed that GECOM has the final authority to declare these elections and that the Chief Elections Officer is required to comply with the Commission’s directives in this regard.

“The OAS notes and commends the instructions of the GECOM Chair, Justice Claudette Singh (ret’d), issued on July 9 and reiterated on July 10, that the Chief Elections Officer should prepare and submit his report using the results generated by the national recount,” the statement said.

- Advertisement -
Uber Free Rides 728x90

“Regrettably, developments over the last two days suggest that efforts continue to avoid compliance with these obligations and to further prolong the term of the current government,” it added.

The OAS said that one of the principal obstacles to completing Guyana’s current electoral process is “a person whose duty it is to defend Guyana’s democracy through ensuring respect for the results of elections.”

In reiterating its statement on the national recount, the OAS said “GECOM should exclude from the current electoral process, and, indeed, from all future electoral processes, those persons whose actions display clear partisan bias, and who apply this bias unreservedly in hindering the natural unfolding of the democratic process in Guyana.”

But on Saturday, Guyana’s attorney general and minister of legal affairs, Basil Williams, said that GECOM chairman, retired justice Claudette Singh, cannot direct the Chief Elections Officer (CEO), Keith Lowenfield, what to include in his report to the commission regarding the disputed March 2 regional and general elections.

CMC

More Stories

marco rubio

US offers $100 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, urges government approval

The United States government says it is prepared to provide US$100 million in direct humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people, but only if the...
Issa Trust Foundation

Issa Trust Foundation rebuilds homes and donates J$17M in medical equipment to Savanna-la-Mar Hospital

The Issa Trust Foundation has helped rebuild homes for hurricane-displaced families in western Jamaica while also donating JMD$17 million worth of medical equipment to...
Jamaica tufton Ministry of Health

Jamaica to develop national fertility strategy amid falling birth rate concerns

Health and Wellness Minister Christopher Tufton has announced plans for a National Fertility and Family Support Strategy aimed at addressing Jamaica’s declining birth rate,...
CARICOM Caribbean general elections

CARICOM Election Observation Mission says Bahamas 2026 polls peaceful, orderly

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Election Observation Mission (CEOM) has reported that The Bahamas’ 2026 general election was conducted in a peaceful and orderly manner,...
Club Kingston

Club Kingston named Priority Pass Lounge of the Year for Latin America and Caribbean

The Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) has lauded Club Kingston after it was named Priority Pass Lounge of the Year – Regional Winner for Latin...
Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission

Antigua election commission rejects fraud claims, warns of possible legal action

The Antigua and Barbuda Electoral Commission (ABEC) has strongly rejected allegations questioning the legitimacy of Antigua and Barbuda’s April 30 general election and warned...
Trinidad Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Trinidad and Tobago refuses to recognize CARICOM secretary general beyond August

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says Trinidad and Tobago will not recognize Dr. Carla Barnett as Secretary General of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after her...
Andrew Holness and Mark Golding

Jamaica ranked Caribbean’s top country for electoral democracy in UNDP report

Jamaica has retained its position as the leading country in the Caribbean for electoral democracy, according to the 2025 Electoral Democracy Index featured in...

Belize highlights CARICOM opportunities for youth during panel discussion

Belizean students and young professionals gathered in Belmopan on Tuesday for a panel discussion focused on the opportunities available through Caribbean regional integration as...
A resident in Black River, St. Elizabeth, repairs his roof in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.

Jamaica audit finds only 1.8% of Hurricane Melissa donations spent months after storm

Jamaica’s disaster response system is under scrutiny after an audit revealed that only a small portion of the billions donated for Hurricane Melissa recovery...

Latest Articles